Mac Pro 1,1 RAID on boot drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by micrors4racer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

Can a 2007 mac pro be configured to have a raid 5 array on all 4 drives then install the OS?

2. djarum69 macrumors newbie

Starting with Lion Apple doesn't want to you have the startup partition on a RAID. I'm not aware of a workaround, but I last looked back when I tried to install Lion on an internal RAID.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Yes there are several RAID cards that your Mac Pr 1,1 could be configured with to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

4. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

Not interested in buying a raid card just for this old machine. I was trying to repurpose it as a file server. How should I set it up with SW RAID to make use of the 4 drive bays and 500gb hard drives?

5. djarum69 macrumors newbie

Use one drive plain to hold your system, and the other three in a RAID0, but come up with a backup strategy in lieu of redundancy. RAID 5 isn't supported by Disk Utility or SoftRAID.

6. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Use the OS drive with HFS and then use MacZFS to make a RAID5 with the other 3 drives.

You will not be able to run much of the system off the ZFS volume. This is a limitation of how OSX requires HFS for several features. But any of the "data" you are trying to serve will be plenty safe and useable. Use Time Machine to back up your OS drive.

This is what I do.

Heres a post I put on here earlier about what ZFS can do for you