Mac Pro 1,1: Secondary Video Card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bkrabach, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bkrabach macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere and I missed it - I've been searching all over online and could not find anything.

I recently purchased a used Mac Pro 1,1 with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. I would like to run a 3-monitor configuration as I previously had in my Quad G5 PowerMac, but am finding it quite confusing to find a card that will work in this new system. Is there a compiled list somewhere of cards that would work in the Mac Pro 1,1 and is there anything to look out for if I want to use the additional card as a secondary card? The 3rd monitor is just being used to display iTunes, Entourage, stickies, etc - mostly stuff I like to be able to quickly access from time to time while doing web development on the other two screens. That being said, I'm not looking for anything "killer" and I saw that a secondary card would only run at 8x, but would like to have a dual DVI card so that I COULD hook up another monitor down the road if desired.

Any recommendations or suggestions greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

2. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Not long ago I bought a flashed 8800 on eBay for $100 shipped. Some guy flashing PC cards - he can do 1,1 or newer Mac Pros just specify with the payment. I'm pleased, although if it's for intensive professional work, maybe steer clear as it's a great gaming card, but not spectacular for core image performance (well below average, rather mysteriously - driver short-comings we think).

If I'm correct, the 2600 XT was a 'stock' (ie. low end) card to begin with. So I'd buy something better, and use that for the third (and eventually 4th) monitor.

BTW I run 4 displays, 3 LCD screens and a HD projector (it's a home/office theater).

3. bkrabach thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds like a great idea (getting a new "main" card and use the 2600 as the secondary). I read some old posts about problems running an ATI and an Nvidia card in the same system - is this no longer an issue?

I took a look on eBay and the only 8800 GT's for Mac Pro I can find are $200.

4. Dzokayi macrumors member

flashed 8800s on ebay

nightfly13, I'm also interested in more information on your source for these cards. Thanks

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Not on Mac Pros running OS X. There is a Windows Vista issue due to how it loads drivers if you want to bootcamp (no issue with XP or 7).

You can get an official HD 3870 for $218 from OWC if you don't want to buy a flashed card. You can of course get 4870s for less than that and flash them yourself. I assume someone is selling them on eBay too.

You can probably get another 2600XT or 7300GT via eBay or a Mac forum from those replacing cards if you just wanted something cheap.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you go Snow Leopard and want Open CL a 4870 or a GT120 would be approved cards.

7. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

The 8800 is also an Open CL approved card. That's the other way I rationalized upgrading. And yes, actually, I had an issue earlier having a mix of NVIDIA and ATI cards. The GeForce 7300 is the really old stock card that I use as my secondary one. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.

4870 is probably the best option if you don't mind flashing (I've used flashed cards for 2.5 years without ill effect) to go along with your other ATI card.

I tried to find the auction/buyer I used for the 8800 on eBay, but it seems to be more than 60days ago so I'm not sure how to go back that far.

I actually sold my flashed/fan-modded x1900xt for $85. Core Image (Expose`) performance is slightly choppier now with the 8800.