Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi,
I have a Mac pro 1.1 amd it takes almost 1 minute to boot up. I installed a new hard drive and put a clean version of snow leopard on it and it still takes almost a minute to boot. Any ideas ?

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Hi,
I have a Mac pro 1.1 amd it takes almost 1 minute to boot up. I installed a new hard drive and put a clean version of snow leopard on it and it still takes almost a minute to boot. Any ideas ?

Did you try repairing permissions? Also, did you try a PRAM reset? Usually when putting new hardware in the mac pro its good to also do a SMU reset, however this being only a hard drive upgrade, zapping PRAM should do it and or repairing permissions - Please note: when you initially install mac os x whether its Leopard or Snow Leopard, the 1st time you boot up from a full installation its gonna take a bit longer, but after the 1st boot up subsequent boot ups should take no more than 20 secs - 35 secs or less depending on what kind of hard drive you have.. and if its an SSD, then you should be instantaneously booting up in no time.

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
i checked and repaired the permissions. i also reset the PRAM. now when the mac starts up it beeps 2 times. i checked all the ram in system profiler and they are all the same speed and status of them is ok. the computer use to boot up within 35 seconds a few years ago but its been getting slower recently.

frankieboy

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
now when the mac starts up it beeps 2 times

You may have a problem there. The Mac startup self-diagnostic produces a single C-major triad if all tests pass: two beeps indicates a hardware problem.:eek:

And startup beeps notwithstanding, a 1 minute boot time on the MBP 1,1 with 10.6 is typical. I have one, and it takes roughly that long to boot 10.6.7.

Last edited:

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
Startup time can be influenced by many things. I have a 1,1 also. With 5 hard drives, the startup drive is one of the 3 TB drives (5400 rpm I think), an SSD, 13 gigs ram, and several USB and firewire devices connected. My startup time is almost 2 minutes. And everything seems to work well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.