Mac Pro 1,1 Upgrade for Lightroom

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lurkingbf, Aug 27, 2015.

1. lurkingbf macrumors regular

Hello, all.

Three years ago I upgraded my quad-core Mac Pro 1,1 to a 2.66 GHz octo-core setup (the 3.0 GHz quad-core Xeons were still stupid expensive back then). It was a great upgrade, and really extended the useful life of the machine.

I now do a lot of work in Adobe Lightroom (the newest CC/6 edition), and I am noticing lag in the develop module, and general performance issues with this app.

I already upgraded the GPU two years ago to a GTX-570. I also have 24 GB's RAM, and an all-SSD configuration. The only upgrade paths left are either a newer GPU, or a slight bump up to the 3.0 GHz quad core Xeons. Given that the PCIe version is just 1.1, I don't see a newer GPU making much difference. But a matched pair of 3.0 GHz quad-core Xeon 5365's can now be had on eBay for about $145--which is a bit less than I paid for the 5355's three years ago. Is this CPU upgrade pointless, or might the extra .340 Ghz per core be beneficial for Lightroom?

Thanks for any input.

2. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

The really ideal SSD are the PCIe-SSD XP941s or SM951 either will get you above 1000MB/sec in the 8x slot, bootable of course, great for LR library and other purposes.

I would do that first and free up I/O.

FBDIMMs in 1,1 due to design 4 or 8 DIMMs (4x4 + 4x2GB) I assume.

3. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

I currently have a three-SSD RAID 0 array that reads about 500 MB, which is not bad. But, yes, having 75% of the bays in use is not the best.

I'd love to see the speeds you mention, but I would actually get those speeds with the Mac Pro 1,1's older PCIe 1.1 spec?

Thanks.

4. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

I have an XP941 (Sig) and yes you will. I did say "use the 8X PCIE slot and 256GB unit or larger. Needs $25 adapter for the device - look on Amazon for one.

Move two of yours though to Velocity Duo and make sure firmware model is for 1,1.

Your Samsung EVO 850 500GB on those or even 1TB by itself gets 500, 900MB/Sen for pair are nice also.

5. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

The Velocity Duo presents another interesting option--one that may be more cost effective. Here in Canada, the SM951 runs about $520 for the 512 GB version. Toss is a $30 adapter, plus taxes, and it runs about $620 for 512 GB of capacity.

The Velocity Duo, on the other hand, is $170, and the Samsung EVO 850 500 GB version is just a bit over $200. So about $675 all in for a larger 1 TB capacity. The only drawback here, as I have just read, is that the Velocity Duo won't boot on the 1,1 model.

Your signature suggests that you are running both of these solutions in your machine. If so, and you've dedicated the x8 PCIe slot to the XP941, how does the Velocity Duo perform in one of the remaining x1 slots?

Thanks for your help.

6. fhenry macrumors regular

Could you post some bench?

7. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

8. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

I keave that to others here and Barefeats

Check out the June test of a Sonnet card

Ramcity is the primary source for blades and support in cMP