Mac Pro 1,1 Upgrade Path / Server

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LordSpunky, Feb 23, 2016.

1. LordSpunky macrumors newbie

LordSpunky

Hi guys, I'm new here. I've been a Mac user for 10 years and my most current Mac is an late-2009 27" iMac. As a house hold we have some different systems (about 200 - but that is a story for another day), running Mac OS X, Windows XP / Windows 7 and AmigaOS.

So basically I've just bought a Mac Pro 1,1 (it hasn't arrived yet) and I want to know what current upgrade paths are? I know the official OS limit is X Lion, but I thought I read there is a work around to get it up to El Capitan. Is that correct.

It has 5GB Ram (Not sure in what configuration) again I believe the official max is 16GB - possible 32GB.

What about hard drives? Is there an address issue? 4 bays, can I run for example 3TB a bay?

It comes with 2x 7300GT's. But I'm thinking of getting a 1GB graphics card (I want to play Xcom2!)

I've been thinking of building a server for a while so I may end up giving it ago (hence the hard drive question) currently I just use a WD NAS, but it is nearly maxed out, I want somewhere we can create Time Machine backups, stream films to my TV etc.

Any help would be great

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes there is, see this thread. You will need a GPU newer than the 7300GT to get adequate performance out of it though.
    Actually, someone even got 64 GB to work.
    3 TB should work fine. Power consumption aside, they make great servers and I use mine similarly.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You can flash a 1,1 with the 2,1 firmware, which increases the RAM limit from 32 to 64 GB, and enables compatibility with a newer generation of processors having twice as many cores.

See this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-cpu-compatibility-list.1954766/

It sounds like you are replacing a NAS. You don't need a ton of RAM and processing power for a simple file server. You might benefit from some features in the newer versions of OS X though, so I think you are on the right track.

4. LordSpunky thread starter macrumors newbie

LordSpunky

Thanks for your replies. It has arrived and I'm very excited! I've cleaned it up a bit. It is running 2x2GB chips and 2x512MB chips. I will upgrade the GPU so I can get El Capitan on it at some point (may even do the ram if cheap enough).

I'm thinking about using 1 HDD as a network Time Machine drive. Will I have to install OSX Server on it to do that?

5. justmetoo, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

justmetoo macrumors newbie

My 'Frankenmac' MP 1,1 is still running fine for my son's use with 10.10 but overcoming the early EFI limitations isn't for the faint of heart, though there are better step-by-step guides out there now. I am loath to even try to update to 10.10.5 let alone El-C. but since your OS upgrade is fresh why not go for broke.

A used PC version of the nVidia 580, 570, or more affordable GTX 560Ti with 2 GB vRAM gpu (what I am using) I think are the max upgrade limits for the 1,1, but am sure somebody will correct me. Even then, the 560 is a PCIe-2 card and the 1,1 only is PCIe so really a more powerful card is truly a waste of money that you could spend on a SSD.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

So yes, proud member of the "Never give up, never surrender your 1,1" community. I'm surprised to see quite a few new posts from people resurrecting the original Mac Pro Intel systems, though my reason is more nostalgic (original owner thus my 2006 account date, tho had a quad G5 before), looking back I do not think I'd go through those headaches all over if I were to have picked it up second hand...

I may have some RAM to give you (literally give - please don't delete this post mod!) but it's been a while so don't remember what sticks are buried and getting dusty...

6. LordSpunky thread starter macrumors newbie

LordSpunky

Thanks for the tips and offer (I do have 16gb now though with 8x 2gb).
    Once I get a new GPU ill be giving it a go!