Mac Pro 1,1 vs current Low End iMac For Final Cut X

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by QuestionSanity, Oct 16, 2011.

1. QuestionSanity macrumors newbie

Ignoring hard drive space as an issue: which computer is better for editing video in Final Cut X.

Mac Pro 1,1 with Dual Core 2x 3Ghz, 8GB ram, & ATI 5770 1GB

Or

Current low end Quad-core 2.5 iMac with 8GB o f RAM.

What if the iMac only has 4GB of RAM.

Again, ignore storage, expandibility, # of ports, just focusing on raw power for the best experience.

All thoughts are appreciated.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How much for the Mac Pro 1,1?

My knee-jerk reaction is to get the iMac. The 1,1 is a 5yr old machine and although the upgraded video card will help I'd be surprised if the iMac didn't kick the crap out of it overall. The Thunderbolt port on the iMac helps level the playing field when it comes to storage and expandability too.

Lethal

3. QuestionSanity thread starter macrumors newbie

Same price for both. So that's the choice. Well. Same price with te iMac only getting 4gb of ram but I can upgrade for super cheap through supplier connections.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

5. QuestionSanity thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the question is how good are these benchmarks for real world tasks? I never really can tell.

6. AngryRedTicTac macrumors regular

The iMac itself will be a little faster, I'm currently experimenting with a similar situation. That said, the I/O on the iMac is MADDENING!!!! FW800 is crippling, at least compared to the Pro's zippy internal drive complement. Aside from the I/O, the iMac is a bit better performer, with the exception of the video card, which is not even a close match, the Pro crushes the iMac. That and the fact that the iMac feels like it's going to burst into flames when pushed hard. That said, my MBP also feels like it's going to explode time to time, and hasn't hiccuped in the almost 3 years I've owned it. I've just always felt more comfortable with the Pro when running it wide open for hours and hours.

For the long term, I suppose the iMac would be a better choice. I know a few people that have iMacs that run them as hard as I have my Pro, and they've been fine. I will always champion the case for the Pro, but the 1,1s really are getting up there in age. The iMac is probably the sensible choice. If you feel comfortable with the Pro, there isn't much to lose keeping it, the iMac will lose value faster.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

For rendering tasks the numbers are pretty straightforward, I would expect to see a 10% improvement in the iMac for CPU intensive tasks. The GPU is not as good but on a 21.5" screen the 512MB card should be good enough, but that depends on what type of video you will be editing (720p vs 1080p, 24Mbps vs 50Mbps etc)

8. careypo macrumors member

If the iMac has a Thunderbolt port, I'd go with the iMac.