Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaneLaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2016
Hi guys.
Trying to decifer wich part of my old mac pro 1.1 is at fault. (2x2.66/GT7300/SSD/20GB) for not being able to load any OS

Have pushed the DIAG'nose button on the pcb, and got the following LED-feedback, where the four LEDs in CPU A&B not turn on). (attached picture)

Can i take that "info" as a valid-indication that its the CPU at fault?

I do get the chime, and the boot up choices, with OSX or windows, but when choosing OSX I just get the timewheel spinng for some time and then white blank screen, with an secondary black cursor at top left at times, and other times just blank white.

when choosing Windows, it just goes black with an screen message stating "signal out of range"

Have tryed SMC reset and change battery/PRAMwithout any change-

My mac pro1.1 went belly up for one moment to the other, so Im a little unsure if its thruely the CPUs that are at fault, and would have reckon it was the GPU GT7300.

anyway to decifer that its thruely the CPUs that are the sinner, before jumping on a new pair of X5355, in regards to if its the old 5150 dual core CPUs that are messing my beloved computer up..

thx for any help, its certainly highly appreciated, Im on a pron-level when it comes to trouble-shoot my old mac where my insight is relative..

IMG_20160816_031027.jpg
IMG_20160816_031440.jpg IMG_20160820_215324.jpg IMG_20160816_011011.jpg IMG_20160816_024724.jpg

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
Hello and welcome!

To me GPU is #1 reason of failing Mac Pros 1,1.
Have you tried PRAM reset and SMC reset? If not, try and see if that fixes anything.

I hope this helps for start.
Cheers.

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
looks like a video card issue but i see cakes of dust in that photo try getting a can of air and blowing it out with the video card out. then re seat in blow out the ram boards as well hope that helps if all else fails get a used HD4870 and the 2 power cables and flash it.

-VoiceOfReason-

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
Are your OSes loaded on the same drive? Are you able to boot into the recovery partition?

I would try installing/booting from a USB stick to see if you can get anywhere.

You could also try to boot into OSX while holding Command (⌘) – V, for verbose mode, to see where it stalls out on loading or if there are any errors.

Running the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) is also an option.

A bit early to start condemning processors IMO.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
I do get the chime, and the boot up choices, with OSX or windows, but when choosing OSX I just get the timewheel spinng for some time and then white blank screen, with an secondary black cursor at top left at times, and other times just blank white.

The 'Chime' suggests to me the CPU, Memory and Logic Board are OK.

My recommendation is to install 10.6 or 10.7 (Operating Systems designed for this hardware) on a USB stick and try boot off that. Spinning beach balls on startup could be sign of software issues.

Knock them out with a known good install.

Have you tried booting with Safe Mode? As soon as things start to go wrong or strange, the USB keyboard and mouse come out to ensure i don't waste time worrying about those.

Let us know how you get on.

F

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I would do the same thing -VoiceOfReason- says. I highly doubt it's the GPU at that point. I would say a failing hard drive or maybe the SAS cable that connects the hard drive to the mobo. That's where i would start. As for a failing GPU, there would be some signs. Showing artifacts on the screen or even what i had a few times, the screen is black then gradually turn green to pink then to a bright white with nothing on the screen.

Also, blow out the dust, that could be a contributing factor.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
can you boot from the recovery partition?
do you have a second mac you can use?
do you have the osx install CD's?

if it's a bad sata cable/connection you can test that by moving the HD to the next slot.
if the GPU is bad then you wont have display (or at least you will have lots of visual artifacts)
if the ram is bad then you wont get that far
if the cpu is bad it's unlikely you will get that far

if you have a usb stick or external drive that is 8gb or bigger that you can install osx on it (you can boot from an external drive via usb or firewire, i use sd cards in a usb sd card reader to do this most the time)

boot from the install cd or recovery partition format the spare drive in disk utility (backup data first as formatting will wipe it) then install osx on to that drive.
then boot in to that drive and see if you can get to the finder

if your able to get to the finder ok then the computer is ok it's just the drive that is the problem.

edit noticed you mention a SSD in the description, SSD's tend to fail less than HD's so try changing the slot it's installed in.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.