Mac Pro 1,1 will not boot from dvd / cd or boot menu

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dfroshie, Aug 25, 2010.

1. dfroshie macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Long time Mac user but never ran across this issue before. I have a mac pro 2006. When I got it a year ago it had Leopard on it working great. I then put windows 7 on it without boot camp just using the drivers needed. I installed that on another drive.

Worked swimmingly until I deleted the mac partitions completely and now I can not boot form my Leopard dvd to re install mac os. When I put the Leopard dvd in and hold down C, I hear the dvd drive accessing, but the screen just stays black....I never get the grey screen to even choose the boot cd or windows partition.

I do remember once I did the method of holding the control key down to stick the drive I wanted so it booted automatically within the mac boot menu.

Now I'm stuck. It boots to windows fine, but never shows me the mac boot / chooser menu at all. I've done all the nvram, pram, resets and that doesnt work. Its like the mac boot loader is gone....

Please help.

2. sboerup macrumors 6502

This might sound silly (no offense) but are you sure you have the right DVD in the tray? When holding the C key doesn't work, I will hold down the option(alt) and then it will bring up all available bootable discs (sometimes there is a delay with the optical drive showing up though). This has always worked for me.

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

My guess, only a guess, is that your optical drive is bad. Do you have another osx disk you can boot from?

4. dfroshie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I put a Leopard 10.6.3 dvd trying both dvd trays and I hear them spin, but see nothing. The DVD trays do work in win 7 perfectly.

5. dfroshie thread starter macrumors newbie

The DVD trays do work in win 7 perfectly so I'm thinking the trays are fine.

6. sirnh macrumors regular

The snow leopard 10.6.3 disc... is it a boxed version or is it a restore disc from another machine? You should try the OS restore disc that came with your mac and see if it boots with that. If it's a boxed install disc, you may be able to contact apple for a replacement.

7. dfroshie thread starter macrumors newbie

The disk was a boxed version I bought a best buy. I tried the OS disk that came with the mac and it wont boot either. The crazy thing is though is I think its booting....but it just doesnt turn on the screen. But when I let it boot into windows 7, the screens come on fine.

8. H0M3R macrumors member

What about holding down the option key when rebooting? I seem to recall doing that and it gave me menu with a CD icon to boot from.

9. dfroshie thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, standard procedure right....I know and very frustrating not seeing that boot menu. It just wont come up...the screen stays black and just sits there.
    :eek:

10. dknightd macrumors 6502

Is one of your dvd drives the original? It used to be Macs had some special juju in their drives that would let them boot a Mac. Not sure if that is true any more.

Maybe you made yourself a hacinPC

11. dfroshie thread starter macrumors newbie

Man I cant believe this. How do you delete the MAC EFI boot rom??? Yea the drives are original mac drives/dvd.

Why would it boot into windows by itself and not let me boot from an OSX dvd?

12. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Remove HDD, start with SL Install disc only. If it will boot this way, set Startup Disk to DVD and put HDD back.

13. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Perhaps you have a new graphics card and the system version on the DVD does not include the drivers... Do you have the stock GPU installed or a recent one?