Mac Pro 1,1 with Intel 600p M.2 SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MortenMoulder, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MortenMoulder macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Is it possible to install an Intel 600p into my old Mac Pro 1,1 and boot off it? Is it easy? Is there a guide? Point me in the right direction, please.

Thanks!

2. Earl Urley macrumors regular

Not possible to have it boot as MacPro 1,1-5,1 ROMs don't recognize nVMe SSDs.

3. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Damn. So I would be better off trading this 250GB one for either 1x 500GB or 2x 250GB and RAID 0? I just don't like the performance of this HDD as a boot drive.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

FWIW I use 2 Samsung 250GB SSDs in raid0 as my boot drive in my MP1,1.
    Works very well, just make sure to maintain a good backup plan.
    DiskSpeedTest.png

5. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Kind of sad to see that performance. It's half of what the theoretical maximum is :-(

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Just what do you think the "theoretical maximum" of the SATA2 bus is?
    I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy and choose to think getting near SATA3 speeds on an old SATA2 bus is kinda cool.:p

7. Yahooligan, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

SATA2 (What your Mac has) is limited to 300MB/s, SATA3 is limited to 600MB/s.

8. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

I know there is a limit on SATA 2 and so on, but since the drive is SATA 3, I would hate throwing "so much money" after it. What happens if I grab a PCIe to SATA 3 adapter and RAID 0 them through that? Would I be able to reach something closer to the theoretical maximum of 2x SATA 3 SSDs in RAID 0?

Yeah I know that. That's why I said theoretical maximum, which might be the wrong term to use (when there is a hardware limitation).

9. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

You are very limited with that 1,1, the PCIe SATA3 cards that are compatible with the 1,1 will only run at PCIe 1.0 1x speed (200MB/s max), a standard 2.5" SSD in one of the drive bays running at SATA2 speeds will be faster. Which makes the product I linked above a huge waste (Forgot we were talking about a 1,1).

10. MortenMoulder thread starter macrumors member

MortenMoulder

Yeah that's true. Hmm. I just really like this old machine (especially more after I'm upgrading to 2x X5355 and 32GB RAM). I'm not even sure if I'm going to notice a difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 (not RAID 0), when I just use it as a headless server with Plex and so on it.