Mac Pro 1,1 with Yosemite piker.. Windows Boot Camp install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by davidmck, Dec 31, 2014.

1. davidmck macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently upgraded my MAC PRO 1,1 to yosemite using the Pre Patch PIKER Yosemite install. From this thread.. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740775

All went well, and yosemite is working on my MAC PRO 1,1!

I am now trying to use bootcamp to install windows 7 64bit. Has anyone accomplished this? When I do it, I only get a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left.

I am sure there is someone else who has tried to do this.

Here are my questions

1) Can you install windows on a mac pro that is using the piker patch?

I am also using an ISO from the web as the install. When I plug in the USB while in Yosemite it is recognized as WININSTALL, but when I use alt at boot it does not show up. If I use bootcamp to install it just goes to the black screen with blinking line.

2) How can I get the USB Key with WINISTALL on it to be recognized?

I have tried to install different downloads of Windows.

3) Is there an iso file that would work better than others for this task?

I was hoping there was someone out there that found their way through this.

Thanks

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Windows 7 64-bit is not supported by Boot Camp on the Mac Pro 1,1. Only the 32-bit version of Windows 7 is supported.

3. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Apple Boot Camp way back from 2007 doesn't support it, but it's really not an issue to load Windows 7/8/8.1 x64. If you have an older ISO, it needs to be modified, although some people have reported newer ISOs boot up directly.

This is the best guide I had seen with everything in one place: Apple MacPro1,1 Running 64bit Windows 7 Under Boot Camp.

4. davidmck thread starter macrumors newbie

I came across that on my searches but both links in it are dead..

5. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

This has the instructions buried in it to modify the ISO if it won't boot: INSTALL WINDOWS 7, 64-BIT ON MAC PRO

Again, newer ISOs are reported to boot without needing to be modified.

I don't know if this works booting from USB, but it definitely works booting from a DVD burned from the ISO.

6. antaisce1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

maybe a bit off topic, but how could you make a bootable USB Stick with the downloaded image only ? I tried the restore method in disk utility and it didn't work out. Not bootable on my Mac Pro 1,1 ( currently running Snow Leopard ) ... any help with this ? I erased the stick, making shure it is formatted in GUID, too... thanks !

7. TrylNarrer macrumors newbie

How does this work in conjunction with the video card swap that was required to get to Mountain Lion/Mavericks? I picked up my 1,1 Pro used, with the hard work on the Mac side already done, and understand why the display won't come on until after the GUI has initiated when MacOS boots, but how would this work with the Windows installer? Will I even *see* anything? Do I need to swap back to the factory video card in order to try installing Windows?

8. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

If you have no boot screens, that's irritating but other people use BootChamp to set the next boot to a Windows device but leave the default boot to OS X. Perhaps that can be used for the installer?

Once legacy mode/PC BIOS boot gets underway, it'll light up your display(s) during the boot because the card's PC BIOS will get initialized.