Mac Pro 1,1 + XFX 4870 - The Quest To Make It Right

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vizfxman, Jun 4, 2010.

1. vizfxman macrumors regular

I know, I know... "this didn't need it's own thread".

Seeing as how I hijacked someone else's thread to discuss and hopefully get answers for my own Mac issues, I thought maybe my own thread is warranted.

My saga began here. I've got an XFX 4870 ZWFC ver. E installed and running in my Mac Pro... not without problems though.

Cindori and The Rominator, I appreciate both your help so far.

So the latest I did was to remove natit and run dual dvi once more. I realized the last time I ran dual dvi I logged in as root and not into my admin account.

The problems persist. Windows is hosed... when I boot W7 or a CD, my screen is filled with snowy/colorful lines and display mayhem, ending in a blue screen and my computer automatically rebooting itself. As I mentioned in the other thread, my bootloader screen is now low resolution and I can only see OSX from the 2nd port, which is low resolution. I can then switch the monitor to the 1st port and go back to high resolution, but this is a royal pain (well, at least it works).

Cindori, I attached my original ROM in the other thread... do you think any of the issues I'm having are due to flashing with a ROM that wasn't quite right? I suppose that might be a silly question.

You mentioned others have had this problem and the solution is a reinstall of Windows, but I'd like to get OSX running with the card at 100% before I go any further than having OSX running perfectly.

Thanks!

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

since you have problems with both os'es and bootloader, its likely to be rom

here is my modify form your original

Attached Files:

3. vizfxman thread starter macrumors regular

You rock, Cindori! Thank you.

I'll give the card a flashing with the new ROM and let you know what happens.

4. vizfxman thread starter macrumors regular

Cindori, thanks again for that ROM.

I flashed the card and I'm now able to boot into OSX and it also fixed Windows 7.

I'm still having the issue in which the bootloader screen is low resolution and I have to do the monitor switch when I boot into OSX. I have the spare adapter connected on port 2 though it doesn't seem to make a difference.

But other than that, everything seems to be running well and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to mod the ROM.