Mac Pro 15,000RPM Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by opak, Aug 11, 2007.

1. opak macrumors newbie

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You will have to install a PCIe SCSI controller to use that drive. I myself use a pair of WD Raptor HDs RAIDed together for my start up disk. Their 10K and not 15K, but they work rather well, and their SATA so you won't need to spend the cash on a controller.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Neither the 68 nor 80 pin version will work in a Mac.

These are UltraSCSI/320 drives. In order to use these drives, you need to have an UltraSCSI/320 interface card.

Good luck with finding a PCI-e, intel Mac compatible card. I'm sure one exists, but it will be difficult and expensive to locate.

4. opak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the utra fast replies guys!
    I guess I'll go with the WD Raptors, that was my pick before I saw the 15Ks.
    Now gotta google "How to RAID"..

5. termina3 macrumors 65816

Very simple, actually. OS X comes with a software RAID (some complain that it can be a bottleneck, and it is to a degree), but there are RAID cards that don't provide this bottleneck out there.

I run a software RAID and it works fine. All you have to do is go to disk manager or something like that (forum, please help correct me! I'm stuck on a Windows for 2 weeks here!)--it's under the utilities folder--and select two drives to put into a RAID. Or you can "Help" search "RAID" on your MP.