Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Storaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
I want to buy a Mac, since I am kind of sick with my Windows laptops. I will need to use Windows though occasionally due to some apps, but I hear Windows 10 works better on Mac than Win 7 used to.

My choice is ONLY between the standard 15 inch models - Iris Pro/256GB or Ati/512GB. I cannot configure it due to where I need to get it from.

So my main question is does the Mac under Windows 10 work only with the external GPU, meaning that I would be getting like 2-3 hours max under Windows?

I do not need a dedicated GPU, my concern is that 256 GB might not be enough for the dual OS.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
While you can dual boot to WindBlows, i'd personally recommend using VMWare Fusion or Parallels and run it as a VM. VMWare Fusion allows YOU to configure how the GPU is accessed. Ergo...you can set it so it doesn't use the GPU and increase battery life.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I want to buy a Mac, since I am kind of sick with my Windows laptops. I will need to use Windows though occasionally due to some apps, but I hear Windows 10 works better on Mac than Win 7 used to.

My choice is ONLY between the standard 15 inch models - Iris Pro/256GB or Ati/512GB. I cannot configure it due to where I need to get it from.

So my main question is does the Mac under Windows 10 work only with the external GPU, meaning that I would be getting like 2-3 hours max under Windows?

I do not need a dedicated GPU, my concern is that 256 GB might not be enough for the dual OS.
Why do you need Windows? Depending on your uses you could probably get by with a virtual machine, you'd probably come out ahead battery-wise.

Bootcamped Windows does not support graphics switching AFAIK.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Virtualbox may be sufficient (and it's free). It's fine for light tasks like MS Office.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
OS X can do anything Windows can do - frankly Windows 10 is ugly too and OS X is wayyyy ahead of Windows and Microsoft is just trying to play catch up.

If you really need Windows for certain applications that are Windows only (if you are an engineer or whatever), like everyone mentioned, run it through Parallels as a VM. Windows 10 is free as far as I know, so you're in good hands.

Once you go OS X you'll never go back. Just the fact of the trackpad gestures on a MacBook Pro and OS X are so fluid it will make you hate Windows laptops due to lack of integration.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
My rMBP's SSD is 256 GB and I use both OS X Yosemite and Windows 10 (dual boot). I've got an external 2 TB HDD for my media contents. 256 GB is sufficient for dual booting if u havent got a lot of media contents,etc. The other best way is to use Parallels Desktop for running Windows 10 as it consumes less SSD space.

Storaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks for the attention, guys, great input!
I do a lot of trading daily (stocks, Forex, etc.) and there is a lot of stuff that is still missing for OSX, though they have versions for IOS (where is the logic I do not know).

Anyway, I have not really used VMs, so I am going to just ask - while using these apps, I constantly do some changes to the charts, etc, which are being saved in the app's folder. Does this work the same under Parallels? I know this is a really noob question, but I have not ever worked on a virtual machine.

@duervo , so it is now possible for the Iris Pro to work most of the time under Windows?
I know that this was not possible with the previous nVidia card, and the rMBP was using it 100% of the time under Windows. There was some not very pretty workaround that disabled the GPU under Windows and that was the only solution to prolong the battery life.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the attention, guys, great input!
I do a lot of trading daily (stocks, Forex, etc.) and there is a lot of stuff that is still missing for OSX, though they have versions for IOS (where is the logic I do not know).

Anyway, I have not really used VMs, so I am going to just ask - while using these apps, I constantly do some changes to the charts, etc, which are being saved in the app's folder. Does this work the same under Parallels? I know this is a really noob question, but I have not ever worked on a virtual machine.

@duervo , so it is now possible for the Iris Pro to work most of the time under Windows?
I know that this was not possible with the previous nVidia card, and the rMBP was using it 100% of the time under Windows. There was some not very pretty workaround that disabled the GPU under Windows and that was the only solution to prolong the battery life.

I would test it first, before saying "yes". Just pointing you in the right direction. I don't have the hardware right now to test it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.