Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erik450

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I have a 1st generation Mac Pro with 2 x 2.66 Dual Core Processors and was wondering how hard it is to upgrade the processors. I use it for HD video editing (Final Cut Studio), After Effects, Photoshop, etc. I've done some research and, from what I've read, it's supposed to be possible with 2 Clovertown x5365s (3.0Ghz). My question though is how hard is it to replace or am I better off buying a new Mac Pro?

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
If you have dug around inside computers before, then not very hard. Find the posts about doing this and follow the instructions. Just have the right tools and patients. I did mine and took a few hours. The biggest headache is finding the new ones at a descent price. I just ordered some harpertowns for a rig I built and there cheaper than clovertowns. Another drawback is the 32 bit EFI on your rig. You might just want to get rid of it and shop for a 8 core next gen.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
like bearcat said, it's not hard. but i too think for the price of upgrading to 5365s, your money might be better spent on a new system.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
The 5365s are quite pricey, unless you get lucky, but the 5355s (2.66 GHz quads) are relatively good value.

You need the correct tools, especially a rather long 3 mm socket-head wrench IIRC, and some knowledge of how to use thermal paste correctly, but it's pretty straightforward from there.

Is it worth doing? Only you can decide but, if I hadn't upgraded 2 years ago, I'd jump at the chance now!

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
Not saying the CPU upgrade won't be an incremental speed boost for you, but IMO the sluggishly clocked RAM and the limitation set by Apple for your model to only accept older GPUs will make buying a new system a much more feasible option.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Sluggish GPU's?

Not saying the CPU upgrade won't be an incremental speed boost for you, but IMO the sluggishly clocked RAM and the limitation set by Apple for your model to only accept older GPUs will make buying a new system a much more feasible option.

One could always flash an ATI 4870 graphics card...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.