Mac Pro 2.0 vs 2.66

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newportmac, Jun 6, 2007.

1. newportmac macrumors member

I like the idea of saving $ but how much would I be giving up? Looking to the usual along with home video editing. Anyone have a link to a benchmark comparison.. checked barefeets but nothing... thanks.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I remember this was covered some time back. Do a search. Summary: most suggest staying with the 2.66

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

This is the best comparison between the two (and other machines beside):
    http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2816&p=1

The threads here aren't particularly illuminating - the key point they make is the value for money. Buying new, the cost and difference in processor speed between them means that the 2.66 gives you far more bang for your buck. As a option, the 2.0 hasn't been a popular one and this is the main reason why there aren't many benchmarks around. You could try Macintouch for reader reports, though.

The refurbished price makes the 2.0 model makes a much more viable proposition in my opinion. Of course, you can always upgrade the processor - anandtech.com has a guide to this, I think.

The 2.66 machine offers far better value for money as I say, but if the most CPU intensive stuff you'll be doing is home video, the 2.0 one would fine for you.

Of course, the cheapest option would be going for something like an iMac, but I'm sure you've thought of that!

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

if your going for the most basic mac pro you can get, then 2.0Ghz and use th money you've saved to get 2Gb ram

otherwise...stick with the 2.66Ghz

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Decent point - personally, I would be looking to upgrade the graphiics card too, although this wouldn't help the OP in his editing.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Don't waste your money. I say that for three reasons:

1. The 2.0 is a rip off.
    2. Possible updates Monday
    3. Do no buy RAM from Apple, for the price of the 2GB upgrades you could have 5GB (4GB kit from OWC)
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory