Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newportmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if the Mac Pro was going to get updated. While sitting here, I have been eyeing the incredible price drop on the new intel quad processors for PC's. I priced out a windows rig tonight on new egg and I could build a box with a 8800GTS GPU, a Q6600 and a P35 motherboard with a raptor 74GB os drive and two 250GB raidO hard drives with a 650w PS for about 1700. I have never tried the mac OS but have read its great. I will be ding mostly video editing with it. I am wondering if I might just bite the bullet tonight and order the 2.0 with an edu discount and call it a day.. but i'll tell ya.. that wiondows rig is tempting i'll tell ya.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Yeah you can easily overclock your Q6600 to 3.0Ghz speeds per core from 2.4. I have a friend that did it.

What do you plan to edit with? If it is specific (such as FCP) then you will need an Apple computer. If you're fine with lets say Adobe Premiere CS3, then it's available for both Windows and Mac....

This one is upto you. I personally love OSX, and it's worth every penny. I have the 8 Core 3.0Ghz with 9GB RAM and it has made me really productive and started to make me more money, so I can't complain.

If I wanted to do gaming, I'd build a mid priced PC or get a PlayStation 3 (The latter sounds better and cheaper for me).

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
That is the thing make me wait for next mac pro update !

I can't buy it now. where i can see my friends quad core system is only 600 , compare to my quad core system that around 2500.

4x expensive

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
But it's wrong to compare Xeon line to the consumer Core 2 Quad line!!

Xeons are server CPU's, while Core 2 Quads are not! They may have similar technology inside, but they are not the same CPU's. For example, the X5365 CPU in my 8 Core 3.0Ghz costs about $1,400 right now. Each. So $2,800 total just for the CPU's.

These are not comparable.

To compare a Mac to a PC, you're better off comparing an HP Workstation.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I know SDAVE , and i say you're right too.

It's can't comparable.

from case design, server class cpu, mainboard and the important thing OS X.

but from the bottom of my hearth say "Can you paid 4x expensive for the computer that performance is nearly?"

ps.

Dell PowerEdge SC 1430
2 X Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5320; 2X4MB Cache, 1.86GHz (8-Core)
1 GB FB-Dimm
80 GB HDD
Windows Small Business server 2003
$1,316

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.