Mac Pro 2,1 WiFi/BT Upgrade Require USB Power Header?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by plentyoftimeto69, Mar 7, 2017.

1. plentyoftimeto69 macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

Hi guys, I'm back at my Mac Pro 2,1 and I'd like to get continuity and handoff finally working. I see that Broadcom BCM94360CD and BCM94331CD cards should work in a mini PCI-e adapter, but will I have to hook up USB voltage to get BT working or not in this sytem? If so, is there a header that can be utilized? Thanks in advance!

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I believe the 1,1 and 2,1 did not require the use of the USB cable.

Btw, the USB cable is NOT for power. It's for data.

3. JedNZ macrumors 6502

JedNZ

Yes, I can confirm that also: you do not require the mini PCIe adapter with the data connectors/wires (as pastrychef said: data, not power). I too have a cMP 1,1>2,1 and the BCM94360CD works fine with a mini PCIe adapter - data passes through the PCIe adapter (don't know why this isn't the case with my 4,1).

4. plentyoftimeto69 thread starter macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'm gonna order a card and adapter then. Any other tricks that need to be done to get handoff and continuity working or just pop the card in and go?

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Handoff/Continuity seems to be a bit of a crap shot... Some people manage to get it working right off the bat and other need to use CAT. There doesn't seem to be any consistency.

6. plentyoftimeto69 thread starter macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

Ordered me a BCM94331CD off of eBay with a mini PCI-e adapter. It's from Hong Kong and I'm in the US, so I'll report back in like 2-3 weeks once I get it.

7. plentyoftimeto69, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

plentyoftimeto69 thread starter macrumors member

plentyoftimeto69

Just wanted to pop back in and give y'all an update: continuity works! My process:
    • Removed the stock WiFi and BT modules
    • Put the new module in the PCI-e adapter
    • Connected the antenna leads. 1 to J0, 2 to J1, etc...
    • Installed the PCI-e adapter in the mainboard socket
    • Ran the continuity activation tool
    • Enabled continuity in General Settings
    • Logged out and back in to iCloud
    • Profited
    It was a pretty simple procedure. App Handoff is working from my iPhone, and I was able to AirDrop a photo over. For the record, I was able to get a BCM94331CD and a PCI-e adapter on eBay for $15 including shipping. What a deal!

Edit: I feel I should mention that in my Mac Pro 2,1 there was a 3rd WiFi antenna lead tucked back above where the PCI-e slot is. The new card has 4 antenna connections, so I was able to use that previously unused antenna lead.