Mac Pro 2.6 vs Mac Pro 2.8

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by markiez, Feb 4, 2008.

1. markiez macrumors newbie

I like to replace my ancient G4 sawtooth Power Mac with a new mac pro. And have narrowed my choice down to two models. The Mac Pro 2.66 ( 4 core ) priced at $ 2399.95 vs the Mac Pro 2.8 ( 8 core ) priced at $2899.99. Both systems are brand new, unopened boxes and in Canadian dollars.

My question is which one provides the best valve or bang for the buck. I'm leaning towards the Mac Pro 2.8 but at the same time thinking I don't need that much power. I'll be using the computer for Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, Adobe Creative Suite and Aperture. I plan on keeping the computer for 3-5 years.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Go for the 2.8 one. Why go for the previous generation model?

3. aibo macrumors 6502

you should be choosing between the quad-core 2.8 and the octo-core 2.8. why would you want the older 2.66 for the same price as the quad-2.8?

4. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I also see the 2.66 refurb for $1999 on the US store regularly, so it should be roughly that on the Canadian store? It is a tempting difference...depending on what you do, it would be nice to save $800 and still have 4 cores. But if you think you're gonna push it and can afford it, 2.8 octo all the way. So yeah, I guess I'm not being helpful at all with your decision. :)

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

From what I've read, the quad 2.8 is significantly faster than the quad 2.66 for about the same money (for that new one you found). Even at $1999 for the refurb 2.66, I'd still go for the 2.8 quad.

Incidentally, once the quad 2.8's appear on the refurb site (in 2-4 weeks, I hope), it's price should be 1999 at which time I suspect that Apple will drop the refurb 2.66 price to 1799 or so.

I have briefly seen some dual 2.0's on the refurb site for 1699, but I'd still pop for the 2.8 for all of the upgrades....

6. kem macrumors newbie

kem

Definitely go for the newer one, its a much better system. The 4 core 2.8 is only $200 more then the refurb 2.6, and it will run cooler, quieter, use less power, have higher resale, probably much faster, etc... IMO totally worth it.

However I would just bite the bullet and get the 8core... I almost ordered a quad 3.0ghz to save money, but I'm really glad I didn't. The 8core 2.8 is amazing, you won't be disappointed.