mac pro 2.6 w/ 23'' or 30'' OR just a 24'' imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Arip, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Arip macrumors regular

Well. the thing is like this:

i have a macbook pro 2.0 core duo with 2gb ram
    standard 128mb video, 80gigs

cause i live in argentina, i can get like 2.5 k usd

so, the thing is like this

the mac pro, cost almost 4k usd
    and the 30 acd costs another 3.5 usd
    a 23 costs 2k usd

and the 24'' iMac costs almost 4k usd

i know, everything is VERY expensive, and if i get the mac pro w/ 30'' i would become indebted for like 5 years, but i know ill be very happy indeed

i dont do video editing, nor music composing, nor photoshop or any other image retouch, even i love all of this, im a newbie

even thoug i would start doing those like a hobbie

should i buy the most expensive mac, or should i buy a 24'' imac?

the thing i love from the mac pro, is that i can upgrade it later, to up to 16g of ram, and also, the posibility of the upgrade of vga and hd

also, 30'' acd makes me horny :p

what should i do? plz. i need you guys, you ppl that know way too much than me about mac, im just an "inexperience guy", but a mac addict fan

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The question is, is it worth going into debt just to feed a hobby? I don't know but if I were you I would go for the iMac 24" just because it would save you the price of the monitor. Plus it is still a very nice computer.

If you really want the Mac Pro then go for it, I just don't see what use you are going to get out of the power except for a computer that will last for a good 5+ years. Which is one of the reasons that I got one, so it is a valid reason to buy.

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Get the Mac Pro because of its upgradability. If you buy a computer that expensive, you might as well buy something that is very upgradable and will last a long time.

4. AVID macrumors member

AVID

I dont think this is the best time to buy either. But if you had to buy one, and judging from what you do, i'd get the 24" for now, and upgrade to a mac pro when u need it next time.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

what do you plan to do on it? if you are just doing menial tasks (ie more than the average user), the iMac will be fine. but i'd wait a little while, because the new chipset may support 4GB+ of RAM, which would be nice.

the mac pro is overkill unless you do hardcore editing or imaging.

6. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

Yes, it all depends on what you plan to do. If you are just starting out and using for hobbies, at the prices you have to pay, I recommend the imac.