Mac Pro (2.66) to iMac- Am I nuts?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikedemauro, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mikedemauro macrumors newbie

I'm a semi pro photographer and a sailor in the US navy. I'm going to be doing less photorgaphy for hire over the next few years as I'll be at sea.

Here is the question:
    Is it crazy to crossgrade to a maxed out 24" iMac?

My first gen mac pro is running fine but is out of warranty and realistically, slightly exceeds my needs.

I’m looking at the iMac for simplicity and the warm fuzzy I get from Apple Care. At this point I could sell my Mac Pro and by the iMac outright.

Are any photographers happily using the new 24”. Any screen issues?

Any comments welcome!

2. mikedemauro thread starter macrumors newbie

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The glossy screen is far from ideal for photography. Stick with the Mac Pro, it will last you a lot longer than the iMac.

4. ColinEC macrumors 6502

^Agreed.

The Mac Pro has more expandability, the iMac doesn't. Once it's maxed out, that's it for any upgrades.

5. ndwgolf macrumors regular

I am getting rid of the MBP and getting a new 24" iMac; "Why" because I can:):)

6. Rendition macrumors member

Stick with the Mac Pro if you can. It's more powerful and expandable. Besides if your iMac has problems with the motherboard, hard-drive, or display, it makes things very icky to fix.

7. 204467 macrumors 6502a

He said he'd be doing less photography, guys. He also said that the Mac Pro was too much...why would he want to keep it for expandability purposes? Plus, he said he would purchase a maxed out iMac with Apple Care, so repairs won't be a problem. I'd say go for it dude. Try to sell the Mac Pro for as much as you can, then get the iMac with hopefully a little left over. If you're worried about the iMac's display, you could also just keep the one you used for the Mac Pro. Or, if you don't care about that, than you could sell that too and get even more cash.

8. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

lol yep the maxed out imac is great for photography, you wouldn't need anything more.

9. cmsdrake macrumors newbie

I recently got the 24" iMac 3.06GHz and have been working on vacation photos taken with my Nikon d300 using mainly the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 lens. Granted, I have no experience with the Mac Pros, but I LOVE my iMac and have no issues with the display or the glossy screen. Can you get to an Apple store to test drive one? I am looking forward to working with RAW files and getting down to some serious business once the summer fun ends. I will be upgrading to 4GB memory, and haven't decided yet on whether to stick with Nikon Capture NX or get Photoshop.

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You could get a Macbook Pro with a matte screen. Powerful, portable, accurate. What more could a man want?