Mac Pro 2.8 vs 3.0 vs 3.2Ghz Quad Cores

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Feb 23, 2009.

  1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

    sparkie7

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    #1
    Are the incremental steps in processor options worth it? are they significant enough to notice performance increases? especially heavy files in photoshop

    Also is the 8800 GT worth getting over the 2600 XT. and can one have two 8800's (or is that too much power draw). I am assuming you can have one of each (1x 8800 + 1x 2600) so you can run 3 spanning 30's. Any drawbacks in have spanning screens with different spec cards?

    And yes, I'm aware of the soon to be released new Mac Pros. Will these be SIGNIFICANTLY better, faster than the current crop.

    Your suggestions & advice, as always, is greatly appreciated
     
  2. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #2
    I don't think Photoshop would be worth the increase in CPU clock speeds.

    3D rendering, would be another story, as the time savings adds up, saving a notable amount of time/week. Making more time available for an additional payed project. Improved productivity = more income. :D

    The ATI 3870 may also be worth taking a look at. It does better at Core Image. (Check out barefeats.com, as there's a couple of articles on this).

    The next MP...

    Depends on how you look at it I guess. If you use memory intensive apps, absolutely. It's also relatively an inexpensive cost increase (+$200 over the current model's MSRP; next MP expected at $3k USD) for the performance.
     
  3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

    sparkie7

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    #3
    but are the next MPs going to be THAT Much better and improved?
    re: memory intensive apps -- well the current MPs can go up to 32GB Ram, isn't that enuff already?!?!?

    unless of course you were referring to new hi spec RAM going in the next MP that improved data transfers from the RAM modules etc..
     
  4. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #4
    I wasn't speaking of RAM capacity, but the throughput. :D

    DDR3 is part of it, but the memory controller located in the CPU is a really big improvement. ;) :cool: Intel finally killed the FSB. :rolleyes: :D :p
     
  5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

    sparkie7

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    #5
    +1 to wait.

    but how patient can one be? :D
     
  6. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #6
    I'm going nutz right now. Not sure my sanity's going to make it. :eek: :D :p
     
  7. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

    mperkins37

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #7
    Best to wait a month or two & get the newest version.
    I have a 3.2 & it screams, but the new MacPro will be much better & I would assume quite a bit faster.
     
  8. spacetycho macrumors member

    spacetycho

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    #8
    which one? decisions, decisions?

    I just went through this same process last week. I ended up with the 2 x 2.8GHz and put 10G of RAM in. (8G RAM from Memory America for $177) It checked out perfectly.

    I am going to be running:
    75% - Pro Tools
    15% - Final Cut
    10% - misc.

    Processer power will only help you if you are rendering. Whether it's 3D images, HD video, Photoshop, etc. For me, I needed to be able to run a lot of plug-ins. So I needed more RAM than processer. The 2 x 2.8GHz is a very fast machine. Don't be pushed into the 3.2 unless you need it for a lot of rendering. And the 2.8 will render just fine. I was down sold by :apple:. Even they though I didn't need it. Hope this helps.

    Cheers
     
  9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
  10. akdj macrumors 65816

    akdj

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Location:
    Alaska
    #10
    I dealt with the same issue, settled on the 3.0ghz procs. FCP/AE about 70% PS and other related software the other 30. I have no complaints, this computer is ALL I will need for several more years, IMO>

    That said, I bought it over a year ago now. If I was buying today, I would definitely wait it out (if I had an interim solution). Not because it's going to be that much faster out of the gate (Lord knows, the software developers haven't caught up to the current crop of Pros:))...but more for resale/maintenance of value. Not that we buy computers as investments, but it's nice to know you can get some money out if you decide to upgrade years down the road. It's amazing what you can do with Macs (that you can't do with PC's).

    Jer
     

Share This Page