Mac Pro 2.8 Vs MacBook Pro 2.8

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by photogy, Nov 30, 2010.

1. photogy macrumors member

I have a MBP 2.8Ghz 8gb RAM and was wondering what increased performance a similar spec 2.8Ghz 8gb Mac Pro would offer?

ok, i realize that the mac pro runs with more cores..but how much extra kick do you get with mac pro?

tks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What Mac Pro is it (model, year, quad/octo)? What are you going to use it for?

3. photogy thread starter macrumors member

am looking at the new quad core 2.8ghz....use for photography editing with LR3, CS5 and some vid with FCP..

4. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

The difference will be immense, you need to consider the GPU, hard drives, expendability and memory in addition to CPU.

Garen

5. photogy thread starter macrumors member

cool...

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's difficult to use benchmarks for such things, and I'm not seeing anything that tested the Macbook Pro 2.8.

I did see a test that hit on this:

Cinebench:
    Macbook Pro 2010 2.66 i7: 2.5
    Mac Pro 2010 2.8 quad: 5.1

Geekbench:
    Macbook pro 2010 2.66 i7: 6158
    Mac Pro 2010 2.8 quad: 9865

7. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I have the 2.66 MBP for work and a 2.8 MP at home. You can notice quite a difference. Different components all the way down the chain from a laptop to a desktop especially a workstation class desktop. If you want speed go MP if you want portability go MBP. Both are great machines for different needs.

Plus the MP doesn't give you 3rd degree burns after doing something intensive.

8. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

Lets not forget the heat issue, my 07 MBP gets loud and very hot under load, just imagine editing a HD video with all cores fired up for an hour or more. I wouldn't expose my MBP to such conditions and neither should anyone else.

Garen

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I do that, playing wow gets it to run hotter and louder.

should not? haha. why did you waste money on a MacBook PRO if your just going to have it display webpages? - might as well have a got some $400 netbook and installed os x on it.

10. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

I agree with you but and this is a big BUT, I didn't buy my MP and MBP to play games as you know you can buy a gaming unit/consul for a faction of a cost of MP or MBP. I do subject my MBP to extreme conditions if I have to, and I'm so happy it delivers when needed. My point is MP has its place and MBP has hers we just need to optimize our time and the performance of the unit that we have for the given task.

Garen

11. photogy thread starter macrumors member

as i thought..its raises the old portability vs muscle debate...clearly there seems to be much more power with the pro and ideally, to have both would be cool but a v expensive luxury!

my battery is roasting my lap as i speak....so i guess i can turn the heating down and save on fuel bills!