Mac Pro 2.8 + XP + Gaming (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ErikAndre, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I should be getting my mac pro (with 8800GT) next week and moving up from my Powerbook G4 (which ran VirtualPC).

How is gaming? I was walking down the gaming isle of Windows gaming, and just had the thought of grabbing anything i felt like, throwing it on my mac and enjoying it (even though not specifically made for the mac).

Sure, its a no brainer, but I wanted to hear from folks with MP's who have gamed with Windows Apps. Further, how is gaming in virtualization? Maybe not as big of a deal... just curious how well they run and how they are supported.

Thanks. :D

2. AnotherPCGamer macrumors newbie

I'm sure it will game fine for now. The question, for me, is how viable will it be to upgrade the videocard in the future. Also not having a built in 5.1 sound ability is kinda detracting....maybe just add in a pcie sound card for windows.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Gaming in virtualization? Not gonna happen, unless it is a 10 year old game. I think you know gaming will be fine with a 512MB video card...

4. ErikAndre thread starter macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Got it. No virtualization then. I don't mind loading bootcamp for a good Sunday afternoon game.

5. Just sayin... macrumors member

My favorite computer game: Deep Fritz Grand Master Deluxe. Yes, there are newer versions out there, but this one is as powerful as my Grand Master friend, has a dual-processor engine (DF8) and a clean interface.

$18.99 at Amazon

It's challenging (I can't beat it even at the medium level), fun, and it runs easily in a virtualized (VMware) environment! No need for bootcamp here... :p

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Company of Heroes works great on my daughter's system (dual 2.66), x1900xt under bootcamp so I imagine yours will work very well with the 8800GT.

Cheers,

7. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

2 questions here,

1. What is the best version of windows, be it XP or Vista, to use for bootcamp?

2. How hard is it to partition the drive to put one of those on there?

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I recommend XP.

Boot Camp does it for you so it's pretty painless.

9. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Actually, Parallels does support newer versions of Direct X, but I agree with you that even if a game works in virtualization, it will perform much better running natively in Windows through Boot Camp. :cool:

10. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Nice, great to hear! Thanks for the info :D

11. Cyberjenks macrumors newbie

Games games games and well...more games

My Specs: Early 08 2.8, 10GB Ram 8800GT Stock HD

Now for the games: BootCamp
    Call of Duty 4 (A must have in my book) Runs Great!!!:D
    Crysis Good but not great.:eek:
    Witcher Runs Great!:D
    UT3 (seems slower on mac but still very good)
    HL2 Great!
    HellGate (Game sucks bad) But ran OK (Buggie)
    WOW Runs Perfect

I hope this helps.:apple:

12. Cyberjenks macrumors newbie

OOPPS!!! sorry I forgot
    Bootcamp: Vista Pem.

13. ErikAndre thread starter macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

What OS are you running? XP?

14. GangsterTalk macrumors newbie

similar specs

I can't wait to start using this for games. I've had a PowerMacG4 for 5 years now and I haven't been able to play many PC games for that long. I went back and ordered a bunch of strategy/adventure games that have come out in the last 5 years or so - Civ 4, Dreamfall GOTY edition, Star Wars Empire At War, Sherlock Holmes: Awakened, Syberia...

Plus, can't wait for Starcraft 2 - hopefully later this year.

15. Banacek macrumors 6502

As as heads up, I would go Vista if you're going to be playing newer games. In the future you won't be able to play newly released games on XP. Also, you don't get the benefit of DX10 (ignoring unproven hacks).

16. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

Hi, could you tell me at what resolution and graphics settings you were playing Crysis?

Because I have a thread on the first page about how surprisingly well it runs on the stock ati with almost max settings, and I was expecting the 8800 to blow it away.

Is it choppy? Low frames per second?

Thanks

17. Cyberjenks macrumors newbie

When I get Home tonight I'll run fraps. But Crysis is very playable not choppy at all. Just in the little sec way movies it gets glithie abit. But game play it self was fine.

I'll also have to check what my screen res is set for Crysis. But all my settings are "High" except for water and sound. There set at "Med".

18. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

Ok, cool, thanks.

I'll assume that you weren't running it at 2560 x 1600... :p

19. GangsterTalk macrumors newbie

I suspect, based on the installed base of XP vs. Vista, that that time will be a few years.

20. ErikAndre thread starter macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Seriously... I can't wait for that game to release... still no anticipated time frame from Blizzard's site. Grr.

True, but you couldn't even give Vista to me. No way. I'll wait another year before I consider that option... maybe. I know several gamers doing just fine with their loaded-up XP boxes. You should suggest Vista to one of those guys... i love their responses. :D

But you're right... Vista will be required soon enough... just not right now.

21. Banacek macrumors 6502

It has nothing to do with performance or anything like that. It is the MS business model to force users to upgrade. I'm just saying don't be surprised when they do it :) I remember when they did it to 98 users with XP. People were livid.

For me, I'll have one XP and one Vista partition, along with OSX of course :)

22. Cyberjenks macrumors newbie

I'm home....Crysis is at 1440x900....Just following up for ya all.:)

23. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Please post a video of the gameplay or pictures of gameplay by using FRAPS! :):apple::)

24. eyecool macrumors regular

Great thread! But, has anyone installed and tried running a game like HL2 or CSS or WOW or something in Parallels?

For me, having to shut down OS X is reason enough to not want to use it for gaming. =/

I have a 3Ghz/2GB ram dell xps I game on, but I've been playing less and less games as I migrated more and more to a mac book. Can't wait to get the MP 8800GT! Maybe it's finally shipping... gonna go hit refresh on the order page,lol. bye

25. eyecool macrumors regular