Mac Pro 2.8GHz QUAD + 5870 or Mac Pro 3.2GHz QUAD + 5770??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok guys, I know I've been annoying you for the past couple of weeks or so but I've finally decided between the two. Which one??

2.8GHz QUAD with the ATI 5870 OR the 3.2GHz QUAD with the stock 5770 (this is the one I'm leaning closer to).

I know I've made a post about Sandy Bridge and all but alot of you guys are right.. Buy now and enjoy!! Besides, PCI-E 3.0 cards will be backwards compatible with 2.0 anyways. :cool:

2. MFDoom macrumors member

I've been reading the forums hard and while I don't know your specific usage, the 3.2 will beat the 2.8 performance wise. The Mac Performance Guide review has yet to notice a "real world" difference between the two Graphics cards.

When in doubt go with what you can afford...

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Upgrading graphics later on is much easier than upgrade cpu.

What is your main use?

4. ahavriluk macrumors member

I have been doing my research and came to conclusion:
    2.8 + 5770 on money you save get more RAM and SSD.
    Ask yourself why do you need a faster card and if it really makes any difference for what you need it for. The performance wise the difference between 2.8 and 3.2 is about 10-12%. You get better performance and user experience with SSD and more RAM.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Running VMWARE, photoshop, dreamweaver, alot of HD 1080p content and I want to get into final cut pro for some video editing and probably get into making flash content (I know I know..) for a website, hopefully using multiple hdd bays for storage of a small business database, I'll be managing a website that I'm creating right now as well.

The Mac Pro just seems to fit the bill perfectly for me for all my needs put into one. I LOVE my 17" macbook pro but a notebook is still a notebook. With the intel SSD drive I dont have enough room and at times even the i7 cpu bogs down a bit with all the stuff I'm running in 16 spaces..

Also it wouldnt hurt to play bioshock 2 at max full settings and diablo III when it releases.