Mac Pro 2 Graphics Cards 3 Resolutions.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smogsy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

Im Going to be buying a mac pro in January, I think even if Nelhanam is not released.

The Spec i will be getting will be standard config with 2 x 30inch, but with a 8800GT or Higher.
    i would like to use the 2 screens on my wall to this why i came up with these questions.

i have a few questions about this, (to help ive added a picture below the questions)

1. How many Power Plugs for graphics cards are in a mac pro/could i add another 8800GT?

2. Is OSX/Windows Ok with ATI/Nvidia if i cannot have 8800GT?

3. as you can see by the picture information i will need 3 Resolutions, im thinking of putting 2x2560x1600 on 8800GT & 1280x960, 1920x1080 on 2nd Card will OSX/Windows Be Happy with this Configuration.

4. im unsure what to use the 3rd,4th screens for but, as i have them i might aswell use them. What Would you use them for in my position? (they can be swived to face me)

5. What card would you suggest for 3rd,4th that work in OSX,Windows and not conflict with 1st card

Wall 40inch = 1920x1080
    Wall 28inch = 1280x960
    2 30inch = 2560x1600

Programs i normally Use are at the same time (expect for CSS,CNC3): Photoshop,Dreamweaver,Flash,Safari,Itunes,quicksilver,Office,CSS,CNC3,adiumx,

[​IMG]

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The Mac Pro won't have a problem with running all the screens, but it will only work with the cards supplied by Apple (nothing else). There are two power plugs on the logic board for graphics cards. You'll need to buy the second 8800GT from Apple's site as the Mac Pro cannot be BTO with 2 (I think). Everything should work well, though you do have a lot of screen space to organize... that can be a pain to do.

3. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeh, i thinking maybe
    3rd = itunes
    4th = movie, trailers , testing my osx apps im creating

4. jroad macrumors member

In general, OS X apps should work in a mixed ATI & Nvidia GPU setup. However, last time I checked (on WinXP 32), a mixed GPU setup does not work properly in Windows. System is functional, but only the displays connected to primary card will work.

Also, you will have the lowest potential for conflicts if you stay with either 2 ATI cards or 2 Nvidia cards.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

6. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Dont include the extra power connector? thats kinda dumb... but could i get the extra power cable from Apple Store as i live in the UK :D although i should be about to use the one that come with my home build pc really shouldnt i?

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Only the games need the 8800GT (or HD3870) and everything else will run fine on the the 2600XT (or future replacement). The 2600XT can power two 2560x1600 displays and the different resolutions shouldn't be an issue.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yup. :)
    http://www.svideo.com/x1900.html
    They will ship internationally. I even called to confirm. :D

It gets transferred by the US Postal System to the UK postal system, so I don't know how long it takes. :eek:

9. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

i could go 8800GT/2600XT but Windows Wont like it when i game :(

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK... One nVidia 8800 GT will support two 30" monitors out of the box (so will the 2600XT), so having two cards will allow you to add an additional two displays. Apple states the machine could have up to eight 30" TFT's but that'll mean you can't install other cards... Despite what everyone else says, if you have the card installed by Apple (at the store), they will supply you with all the necessary connectors, including the additional power leads.

As far as windows is concerned, you can simply go into the Hardware Monitor and disable the ATI card then windows won't load drivers for it, thus becoming invisible - thought the fan on it will continue to whirl.. don't know would that annoy you or not.

11. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks UFO,

im just thinking that ill purchase the Mac Pro Online, so i might aswell add a 2600XT To the Order whilst im buying it, although now Nvidia has stopped making NV Chipset Chips they will have to take away there NV Chip Requirements in there Drivers so SLI To Mac Maybe?