Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by caliguy19, Oct 7, 2008.

1. caliguy19 macrumors newbie

I would like to upgrade the memory on my mac pro to 8gb (4 x 2gb) plus the original 2gb (2 x 1gb) that comes standard for a total of 10gb.
    I have looked on ramseeker.com and the prices range from $198.99 to $799.99 for 8gb (4 x 2gb) kits. The Omni Technologies Optival is mighty tempting at $198.99 and I see that OWC has 8gb for $269.
    What do you recommend?
    Is Optival any good?
    The reason I an adding 8gb is for multi-tasking video/audio etc.
    Any input is appreciated, I would like to keep my mac pro running smoothly.

Thank you in advance,
    Cali

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I just purchased ram from OWC a week ago for my 2x2.8 ghz mac pro. Works great, and no problems.

I am considering 10GB of ram as well but since the prices usually drop, it's not worth buying 8-10GB for me right now, as 6 is sufficient.

So that would be my advice, if you can get by on a small amount, use that first. 4GB ram prices are the current sweet spot. The rest will fall later and you can buy it then.

Of course, if you need all 10GB of ram now, then go for it.

4. osin macrumors 6502

I bought my 8GB of RAM in OWC and had no problems so far. I went with OWC because it was the most recommended store on this forum, and I don't regret it ;)

5. fredr500 macrumors regular

Optival works for me

I put in 4GB of Optival (2x2GB) over a year ago and it is working fine for me. At $100 I'm about to order another 4GB.

What makes OWC or anyone else worth more?

Fred

6. caliguy19 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I would like to know, the few reviews I found on Optival by Omni Technologies seemed positive.
    Anyone else used Optival?

Cali

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

I recently got 4x2GB from OWC and I could not be happier.

I try to order from them when they match or beat their competition, because they do take the time to make sure everything is compatible. I also like the reliable and safe packing, which gives me added confidence that things will not arrive DOA.