Mac Pro (2006) needs new logic board. Sources?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IndyGopher, Feb 26, 2009.

1. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

We shipped out a mac pro a couple of weeks ago, and somewhere in transit it managed to die. The diagnostic LED for CPU B lights up, and the fans spin, but that is it. No video, no chime, no beeps... nothing.

We tried swapping CPU's, and no matter what CPU is in socket B, it is reported as bad, and the machine does not boot. There appears to be physical damage to the pins in that socket, so it's time for a new logic board. Does anyone have any suggestions for a source for this part? (The Apple part number is 661-3919) and the cheapest I have found it online is $699... Any suggestions that might beat that price?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple will replace it for you at full price for $600 including delivery and collection. I think its a tier 2 repair.

3. IndyGopher thread starter macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Thanks for the info! I checked with my local Apple Authorized repair folks, and it is indeed $605, but only if the board is undamaged. Since there is physical damage I am told to expect an additional $200 charge. MUCH better than I expected, either way... so again, thanks for the tip!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could also buy an as-is machine off eBay, although you'll have to be a little careful since in my experience the problem with as-is Mac is usually the logic board anyway.