Mac Pro 2006 - WiFi USB available?

SACD02

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Toronto
My 2006 Mac Pro has Bluetooth but no wifi. I'm wondering is there a wifi USB dongle that works in Mac OSX 10.6?

Thank you

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Yes..

But you can always get the airport card and install it or have apple install it for 30 dollars..

But, if you want a nice USB 2.0 wireless adapter, I used to use afterthemac's wireless adapter.. Its really a nice adapter thouggh kind of on the expensive side. Here's the website:

www.afterthemac.com

My 2006 Mac Pro has Bluetooth but no wifi. I'm wondering is there a wifi USB dongle that works in Mac OSX 10.6?

Thank you

SACD02

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Toronto
But you can always get the airport card and install it or have apple install it for 30 dollars..

But, if you want a nice USB 2.0 wireless adapter, I used to use afterthemac's wireless adapter.. Its really a nice adapter thouggh kind of on the expensive side. Here's the website:

www.afterthemac.com
Thank you

Does it cost $30 alone or is it $30 for the hardware plus the installation?
Can I just take my Mac Pro to their store and ask them to install it?

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Airport card

When you buy the airport card for 49.00, Apple will install it for you for 30.00 - this was the case when I bought my refurb 2.66 2009 mac pro - now its 3.33 due to my upgrading the processor. I am not sure if 30 for the install is across the board with all the apple stores, but mine in Towson, MD only charged me 30 - a sweet deal since most 3rd party apple authorized service centers would charge over 100 or more to install that.

As I said.. take a look at afterthemac.com and see if that is what you want.. if not, goto the apple store and get the airport card for 2006-2007 mac pro and Apple should install it for 30.

To sum up: Yes, you can buy the airport card for 49.00 and have apple install it for 30(not all stores might do this).

You need to find out.

Thank you
Thank you

Does it cost $30 alone or is it $30 for the hardware plus the installation?
Can I just take my Mac Pro to their store and ask them to install it?