Mac Pro 2006, Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Des Zac, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Des Zac macrumors regular

I want to buy a mac that is compatible with Lion and will be compatible for maybe 1 to 2 more OS's. Would a Mac Pro 2006 work? Since they still use Xeon in the most recent release I was hoping that would hint at a long lifespan. Up to 32GB of RAM, that's eight times the crap PC we have, the one that I desperately want to replace. Would this be a great replacement?

Here are my concerns:

#1: It says it game with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT, and we have an Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT in our PC, would it be compatible?

#2: Could I use our hard drives with Windows on them with it and be able to access them just like we were on our PC in Dual Boot?

#3: Is it reliable? Did they break often or will that not be as much of a concern with the Mac Pro?

Thanks for all of the help,

-Zach

2. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I have one that I got last year. Other than using lots of power, it is awesome.

Mine has 16 GB, upgraded to two quad cores and a RADEON 5770.

Having the five disk bays is awesome - I have RAID and Time machine in the one box and plan to add an SSD and Boot Camp partition.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

1: No, your video card won't work - it would need a Mac-compatible BIOS. It my be possible to flash it, however.

2. No. You'll need to install boot camp (or Parallels) first - THEN install Windows.

3. Yes, they're pretty much bomb-proof.

Sounds like a good option - provided the price is right. Just bear in mind that a current i7 iMac will probably be noticeably faster.

4. Des Zac thread starter macrumors regular

Although the i7 iMac is over 4* the price :D

5. Daud macrumors regular

I had Mac Pro shortly several months ago (got it for $800 and spent $200 on memory and Xeon 3.0 upgrade)and now I am on Mac mini 2.5.

You have not told us about how you would use the Mac. Unless you need the flexibility of the multiple HD bays, I think it is not a right purchase, unless you get it for $500.

Negs: memory is expensive and only clocks at 800MHz. It draws a lot of electricity and makes lot of heat. It might not pass the next OS evolution.

Consider strongly the 2.5GHz Mini.

6. Des Zac thread starter macrumors regular

They're around 400 on ebay. I want to talk my parents into getting a current-gen mini but I want them to be able to keep all of the data from the PC without having to have any external storage devices... that's why I wanted a Pro. I'm planning on buying it myself, so I don't want to spend any more than $500.