Mac Pro 2008 + 4870 + Two 30 ACDs + Mini Display Dual Link.. Any issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, May 15, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Ok, I'm about to go to Apple store in a few hours to pick up a 4870 and Mini Display Dual Link adapter. Has anyone tried this successfully? ie. no flicker issues with the 30 ACD connected to the MDP DL adapter.

Its prevalent on the MBPs, but wanted to check if it was also widespread on MPs :confused:

2. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

The issue exists on Mac Pros too...:mad: I'd have the sales rep in the Apple store test it in front of you, or ensure you can get your money back if you're not satisfied. I've had two cables not work... I'm probably going to buy a second graphics card (but just the GT120) for the second DVI port...

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

is this flicker problem isolated solely to the MDP to DL adapter or is it a combination of it plus a specific graphics card?

so if I test in store, any card (such as the 120) with a mini-display port and a 30 ACD will do?

4. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

It looks to me like it's related to the adapter. I've seen the flicker on a two Mac Book Pros, a Mac Book, and a Mac Pro (all with different graphics cards, but with mDP). If you look at the reviews for the product on Apple's website, you'll notice that people w/Mac minis are also having the problem, so it looks like the adapter's to blame...

It's amazing to me that with all the propeller heads over there at Apple, they haven't solved this problem in over six months, and continue to deny it is a problem!

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I just got my 4870 and MDP DL adapter from the local Apple store. I have both 30 ACDs plugged in. Will monitor if any flickering. How long before they show up. How intermittent is it from your observations?

6. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

For me it happens every 30-40 minutes. I get a flicker that's like the screen goes black for a split second and then everything goes back to normal.

7. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

the ENTIRE screen goes black :confused:!? -- and that only happens to the display connected to the mini display port to dual link adapter right?

8. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

9. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

is there a specific situation or use which brings on the flickering? or is it strictly a 30 minute interval flicker

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

UPDATE:

Ok, I can confirm without alcohol in my body today that I have witness on at least 4 occasions that my 30 ACD *winked* at me. Thats right, the *****er flickered with that POS MDP DL adapter connected. My other 30 ACD connected to the DVI was not quite as cheeky :D

So, the little sh*t is going back to mama for a refund. BUT then there's no alternative, so maybe the 30 min or so winking is livable with.. decisions, decisions

11. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

So you're in my situation as well. That's why I was thinking of getting a GT120 card for my second display (so I have another DVI connection). I have an ATI 4870 right now.

12. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have a 3870 + 4870. So I might hook the other 30 ACD into the 3870 with the other 30. And just have one 30 on the 4870. But really the flickering is so long apart (every 30-40mins) that I could possibly live with it.

That said it should just work 100% without problems :mad:

13. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

I know what you mean... although, since I do a lot of presentations, the flicker really doesn't work for me. :(

14. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

eh, so whats yr solution. get another card or diff display with diff ports?

15. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

No solution as yet... waiting to see what happens with WWDC, but I leaning towards a second graphics card--like a GT120--to run the second display.