Mac Pro 2008 Freezing Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by morphball, Oct 12, 2009.

1. morphball macrumors newbie

Hello all,a
    My Mac Pro has just today started freezing strangely. And I say strange because the screen freezes except for the mouse, which moves about, and the computer continues to do whatever it's doing, for example, when it was playing music the music still played, and it froze again while I was burning a dvd and the dvd still finished burning.
    It's done this nearly ten times today and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I've run Onyx and all the scripts etc, checked disk permissions, I did a P & R reset but it still seems to be freezing. It also froze once while I was trying to acces time machine so I unplugged the drive and restarted the computer but it froze again randomly anyway.
    I'm wondering whether it's possibly a graphics card issue?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
    By the way I'm running 10.6.1, It's a 2x 2.8 Ghz quad cores, 8 gigs of 800mhz ram and an 8800GT graphics card.

Thanks again

2. beyond macrumors member

beyond

Sounds like the graphics card.

3. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

I had that too with my GT120. First just freezings like you described and later I had some graphics failures, do you have them too?. I returned the GT120 and placed a new one in my Mac Pro and everything was fine.

4. j2048b macrumors 6502a

pretty much had the same systems (OP), mine ended up being the video ram not working, or fluctuating.

changed out almost everything in the whole computer though because the power source was also a culprit.

5. morphball thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks for your help.
    I've been running all sorts of tests to try and find out what's wrong and have called Apple Support who said to run the Apple Hardware Test, which I can't seem to be able to do for some reason. I've also done some checks with TechTool Pro but so far all clear, it said the video memory was fine.
    I also gave the computer a good clean out with a compressed air can this morning but it's still freezing.

Any other ideas or ways I can isolate the problem?

6. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Well, I gave my brand new Mac Pro with the GT120 for one week to the Support and they tested the machine with all sorts of tests and didn't figured out a problem.They said everything is fine with my Mac Pro. They gave me the machine back and after 1 minute of using it I had freezings. I called the support and said to them that the problem still persists. I didn't wanted to give the Mac Pro back again and said they should just replace my GT120.They did and I have no problems since then.

7. j2048b macrumors 6502a

when this happened to mine, we also ran every test known to apple, what you need to do is get your log and send it to apple, ask them how to do this, that is where they found out my video ram was crashing!! but i ended up getting almost everything inside replaced, because they started with the motherboard and went from there!!

:apple:care pays off in the long run, especially now that intel has stepped in, macs have had more problems than ever before!!

i needs me an older system for cheep! might get an older g4 mini or laptop just for their durability and confidence!!

good luck!

8. morphball thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check the log? Is it just the one in the console?

9. j2048b macrumors 6502a

not really sure? I had a tech from apple walk me through it.

it was easy when they did it, but someone else here should know how to do it?

10. morphball thread starter macrumors newbie

I still haven't been having much luck. I've tried doing fresh installs Leopard and Snow Leopard twice, I've taken the computer in to the local Apple shop who ran a diagnostic on it. They had it for a week and at one point were running it intensively for two days and it didn't freeze and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then I get it home and it was freezing within 15 minutes. :(

I've noticed in the console everytime it freezes there seems to be a WindowServerError (usually [69] but have seen [71] as well). It says

kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint
    WindowServer [69] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure

Does anyone know anything about what this means and how I can fix it, I've got so much editing work to do and it's getting so frustrating when it keeps freezing all the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

11. j2048b macrumors 6502a

do you got the funds to change out the video card? try that with the same model video card you have in it now, and see if that fixes it or not?

Call APPLE! have tell them you want to talk to tier 2 support, and send them a copy of your logs!! and tell them what has been going on!

they should be able to decipher what the problem is with the logs!

dont take that heavy PITA to another so called "genius" they dont know much in the way of the hardware malfunctioning!