Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Sorry guys ; dont have the exact model number but it is the same as this Mac

I recently after 10 years with no problems ; had a KERNAL panic [ second last time I turned on the computer ], 2 Lockups on the desktop where nothing would move, One instance where I turned the Mac on, and the lights on the front were flashing, and just and overall sluggishness. Initially I was concerned with the HARD DRIVE, so I backed up all my files, but some of the files were corrupted because of a bad transfer [ Assuming this was something to do with the Ram ] The computer will start most of the time, with these having happened over a 3 week period. Sometimes It would run fine, and other times, the above happened.

I have a couple questions, I found some sticks of 4GB OWC for a good price and they are on there way here. But I wanted to do a couple test. I am assuming [ LARGE ASSUMPTION ] that it is just a bad stick of RAM, and or worse case, that there is something wrong with one of the RISERS, as when I checked the hardware, It only said I had 1 stick of Ram in there.

So onto my questions,

If it is a faulty RISER slot, we'll just say DIMM 1, Can I place my new ram in DIMM 2 on both sides, and the computer would run fine? If not ; what are my options.

How do I determine which way to insert ram into the riser, Is there a simple "front / back" marker on them.

Also I may have mixed up which RISER was A and which was B.. Does it make a difference which one goes into which slot? If so how can I tell the difference...

I'd be interested in other theories as to what could be happening! But I am hoping its just a bad stick of ram.

I can provide more info if requested.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
I know these are some simply answered questions; but I would really appreciate some help from you guys. By far the most informative community for Macs, and have come through for me before!

Thank you.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I know these are some simply answered questions; but I would really appreciate some help from you guys. By far the most informative community for Macs, and have come through for me before!

Thank you.

Hi @MENESthePharaoh, you mentioned you have the 3,1/2008 Mac Pro. The symptoms you describe make ram an easy candidate to your recent woes. One of the best ways to check ram is to do an extended memory test with Apple Hardware Test. AHT is included on one of the original install disks that shipped with the Mac. The label will say what disk. AHT is not included on upgrade or retail install disks since it is hardware specific. Insert that disk, and you should be able to boot to AHT.

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Hi @MENESthePharaoh, you mentioned you have the 3,1/2008 Mac Pro. The symptoms you describe make ram an easy candidate to your recent woes. One of the best ways to check ram is to do an extended memory test with Apple Hardware Test. AHT is included on one of the original install disks that shipped with the Mac. The label will say what disk. AHT is not included on upgrade or retail install disks since it is hardware specific. Insert that disk, and you should be able to boot to AHT.

Thanks ; will do. However since I have taken the Mac apart, I need to know if Riser A and B are different. If so I need to put them back correctly. And the correct placement of ram, so I don't put it in backwards and blowup my baby.

And can I Place ram in DIMM 2 instead of 1 ( therefore leaving DIMM 1 empty on both risers )

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
There's literally nothing I can find explaining which way to insert RAM into the Risers. I do not want to put it in backwards. This is what I really need to know at the moment.

I have found out both risers are the "same" and proper pairing. Now I just need to place the ram in the Risers.

2wnpq2r.jpg

Last edited:

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Best to keep the larger RAM chips in the top riser, don’t worry to much, the risers are interchangeable so don't have any fear about switching them. However, best if possible to leave in original configuration. If memory serves, they are configured quad channel. Make sure your largest chips are in the back slots in the top riser so they’re addressed first. Least, that’s how I used to do it..

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Thanks guys ; I may not be noticing a difference in the "notches" ; what are you referring too? Because although I didnt press them in firmly; it seemed as if it "fit" either way I placed it.

Since I bought 2 4GB pieces, I am just going to scrap the original 2 GB's I had. So I will only have 2 pieces of Ram in. I was reading that its best I keep them in either A1:B1 or A3:B3 , some one said I should not be placing an "individual pair" in A2:B2 or A4:B4

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
So... it's quite possible your problem is RAM and you're on your way to a solution.

But your post reminded me of another problem with these 2008 machines--the ATI 2600 video cards went bad after a while. I had 3 of them and all of them, eventually, had issues that were of the kernel panic variety. It's been a while, but I thought I'd mention it, in case it turns out not to be the RAM.

You may want to hit the DIMM sockets with some compressed air, if you haven't already.

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Alright ; So I got the RAM today ; and I am sure it is the correct ones.

I put it all back together, and now when I goto boot, it stops at startup and just gives me the flashing LED.

That was with RAM in DIMM A1/B1 ...

I am now going to attempt with the RAM in A3:B3 and see if I have any luck. Unless someone has a different suggestion I should do first.

Before with the OLD ram in, It never blocked me out like this permanently ; So I assume it has to do with the new RAM?
[doublepost=1523481177][/doublepost]

EDIT:

Well guys.... Not an early celebration... BUT WE SEEM TO BE IN BUSINESS!

I decided, I'm going to reseat everything, and give it one more cleaning, before I give up on DIMM 1 A/B... and that did it... I've reset it 3x, with no errors. I dont know.. Just praying were good. I'll keep everyone updated in about a week if I have any issues..

This communities great, I'd like to thank EVERYONE who helped..

Peace!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.