Mac Pro (2008) isn't displaying video

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Will G., Oct 20, 2009.

1. Will G. macrumors member

The power light comes on fine, and I'm even able to adjust the volume. I know the display works because I've tested it with my laptop. And the graphics card (8800gt) fan is constantly running whenever I turn the computer on, which leads me to believe that something's wrong with it.

I've already tried clearing dust with compressed air, and doing everything listed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1573?viewlocale=en_US

Right now, I guess my options are a) taking it to a repair shop, and b) buying a new graphics card and replacing it myself.

I'm leaning toward b), but I'm not sure what the graphics card options are these days... I'd like something at least as good as what I had but not too expensive. On the other hand, if there's a reasonable chance that the graphics card is not the problem, I wouldn't want to risk wasting my money.

Advice would be appreciated.

2. vcuares macrumors member

wow I have the same problem... blank screen on startup but the usual start up whir of the fans and hdd are present. I suspect video card too, I've got the 2600XT I think. 2008 Mac Pro Early 2.8 Octo

did the ff:
    smc reset
    pram reset
    change monitors

Have an appt at the Apple store tomorrow, I hope it is covered by my Applecare.

3. Will G. thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... unfortunately, it's a little difficult to get to the apple store from where I am, so I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

For anyone more experienced with computers, does it sound like I'm right in thinking that the video card is the issue, and that I could fix it by putting in a new one?

(Also, I should clarify that the fan that's constantly running is the one built into the graphics card, not the computer's main fan.)