mac pro (2008) kernel panic

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by remmy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. remmy macrumors 6502a

Feeling a bit fed up with this.

I have a Mac Pro which has kernel panic, sometimes quite regularly, other times not.

I seems to only occur after a while using the internet, but this may be coincidence, its something I cannot be certain of.

It is a standard Mac Pro 2.8 octo, without any upgrades such as RAM. The only thing is I've added is usb wireless - but could that really cause a kernel panic?

I'm going to phone support so I hope they can help.

2. FireSlash macrumors member

If the wireless is 3rd party, then yes. Poorly written kernel extensions can cause panics. The fact that it only happens while you're on the internet is +1 for that. Pull the card and run a wire to your modem, see if you still get it.

3. rtrt, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. remmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

Ah I think your both right, which is good I suppose because it means it means its not the mac. On the last kernel panic it was shown in the problem section.

Right now im trying it online by connecting it via firewire to my ibook, so I will see how its all running.

The software that came with the usb does say it supports leopard but it does look amateurish which was disappointing.

5. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

6. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I used a D-Link DWL-something which I found responsible for very annoying random panics as you describe. After some unsuccessful trials with different drivers I decided to install the internal airport card which (of course) works flawlessly, and I didn't have a single kernel panic since.

Believe me, it can be the USB key. And it's almost certain if you use the D-Link one.