Mac Pro 2008 + Magic Trackpad = doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aibo, Jul 29, 2010.

1. aibo macrumors 6502

I received my Magic Trackpad for my Mac Pro 2008 (all software updated, running 10.6.4). I paired it no problem to the Mac Pro and had basic mouse functionality immediately. No gestures worked, but I remembered that there was a Magic Trackpad/Multitouch Update issued yesterday. So I checked Software Update and nothing showed up. I had to find and download the update manually, and it installed no problem.

So at last I have a "Trackpad" preference pane -- but it varies greatly from the one I'm supposed to have according to all the Magic Trackpad reviews:
    http://static.arstechnica.com/applemagictrackpad/magictrackpad_prefs_ars.png

^^Mine should look like that, but it instead looks like this:
    http://imgur.com/XQHUk.png

Additionally, even though the settings for Trackpad Gestures "Use two fingers to scroll" and "Allow horizontal scrolling" and "For secondary clicks..." are checked off, they don't work. All I can do is basically move the cursor around and single click by physically pressing on the Magic Trackpad.

I already tried re-pairing the bluetooth several times. The bluetooth signal is fine -- it just doesn't recognize it as a Magic Trackpad. I even tried disabling USB Overdrive and it didn't help.

Anyone else with this experience? I checked the Apple Discussion Forums but it seems I'm one of the first and few to try the Magic Trackpad with a Mac Pro 2008. One other individual got theirs -- but all he posted was that Software Update wouldn't show the Magic Trackpad update (like it didn't for me). I suspect they'll run into the same problem I'm in.

2. mw12a macrumors newbie

I have one on a 2006 Mac Pro and all functions work fine.

Also, apparently the update only shows up in Software Update after you have paired the trackpad to your mac.

3. aibo thread starter macrumors 6502

I had already paired it and it still didn't show up. Anyway, even after installing the update from the standalone installer, it still doesn't work.

Have any 2008 Mac Pro owners had success?

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

What version of OS X are you running?

EDIT: sorry - I see, SL 10.6.4... perhaps repair permissions and restart your machine...?

5. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I'd try trashing any related preferences in your Home > Library > Preferences and reboot.

Could be possible you've got a defective trackpad, but hopefully not.

6. aibo thread starter macrumors 6502

finally got it working. i don't know what was wrong, but it was fixed with a 10.6.4 reinstall via the combo updater then and applied the magic trackpad update again.