Mac Pro (2008) Multiple Rev.?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rendition, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Rendition macrumors member

I just ordered a Mac Pro because I need it for work. To help me feel better in buying right before Nehalem comes out, does anyone knows if the 2008 Mac Pro is gone through a revision to iron out any initial bugs in the January 2008 release?

Thanks. It would make me feel better buying a Rev. 2 of an Apple product and Nehalem Rev. 1 is bound to be buggy right? :)

2. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Unfortunately it appears as thought the current Mac Pro is still the "Mac Pro (Early 2008)" model...

But, you buy when you gotta buy. That's what I say, forget about waiting, it will still do what you want, am I wrong?

3. Rendition thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but nehalem is huge 30%+ speed boost. Sigh. I'm asking if the 2008 Mac Pro model has a motherboard revisions etc. for bug fixes, I know it is the same model spec wise.

4. Roy macrumors 6502

Has not any "buggy" part of Mac Pro been the system and not the hardware?

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The current MacPro's are based on end-of-the-road technology, it's already a rev 2!!

Since Nehalem/Core i7 will be based on a new socket design, speculators suggest it'll be LGA1366 formation but intel hasn't release anything hard info yet. It'll most probably be based around a completely new chipset too - but i doubt it'll be on the Mac till the mid/late 2009.

6. Rendition thread starter macrumors member

Rev. 1 Nehalem is bound to be buggy and crash a lot right???

7. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Wow! Care show the benchmarks?
    Ah..oh...wait...it´s not gonna be out for a another half a year...

No.It is not bound to be buggy or crashy. Or more buggy or crashier than,say the first woodcrests were. Obviously there is bigger propability that Rev A machines are buggier than Rev B.

Stop masturbating,sack it up and just buy the machine if you need it.
    It will serve you just fine for the next few years and you will get your work done.
    ;)

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Nehalem's coming in late 2008 so it would most likely go on the Mac Pro in January or so 2009.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Even if that's totally true, the consumer probably won't get one till at least February, possibly March - I'm pretty sure they won't wanna release it till they can get it to all their stores, globally.

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

True. And I am gonna guess, the week before MWSF 2009, preferably the Tuesday. lol

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple announced 2008 Mac Pros on January the 8th and you could walk in to a store and buy them that day. I don't remember what shipping times were on systems configured with the 2600XT, but I don't believe they were longer than you'd find at other times.

So far Intel's timeline is very similar to last years, there is no reason to think we won't see Mac Pros announced early January and base models available for purchase immediately. If there are new displays comming then they may wait for Macworld.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The Mac Pro is based on very "tried and true" technology and any errata has subsequently been addressed by Intel via firmware updates. So buy with confidence. :)

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

There was that problem with the early 2008's waking from sleep, but I don't remember the details. it didn't sound like something that would ruin it at all.

I would expect the first ones to have some issues, but nothing terrible. I'm still waiting for February or March before I pick one up, unless there are no issues to speak of.

14. Rendition thread starter macrumors member

Looks like no new Mac Pro till end of 2009! hehe

15. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

More like MacWorld 2009, I imagine.