Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregPacker

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Wherever there is a queue
3 weeks out of the box and my early 2008 Mac Pro has been diagnosed by Apple to have a dead logic board.....Were it not for the 50ish lbs of metal and Si, I might have opted for bringing it to the Apple Store

Sounds familiar, after almost exactly 3 weeks my fourth one died last weekend and won't turn on at all, let alone boot up. I lugged the 50ish lbs to the Apple store (a familiar route) and got the aching arms to prove it. Waiting for repairs now. Think different. I'm starting to.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
We have had our MP 2.8 octo for 2 weeks now.
In this period we have captured some 400GB of HD and HDV footage from tape and solidstate media. We have then edited 2 30 min TV programs (both have aired on national television here in Norway) and done a lot of rendering and exporting.
When it´s up and running it´s perfect. FCP crashed ones, I think that might have to do with the fact that we only have 2 gig of RAM still.

It does shut down after being in sleep mode for a while. We have also had problems booting the machine. After the start up sound we just get a grey screen.
Had to try 5 times to get it up and running.
Not good for the nerves at 4 in the morning with 5 hours left to deadline. I thougt I was gonig to throw up, but it did start up again.

Not sure if I have the latest EFI as I don´t have internet were we are editing

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
All I have to say is that I had a G4 for 7 years... Getting this new MacPro was by far the best purchase I have ever made, well, maybe first getting my fiance her engagement ring, but the MacPro is awesome. Best Mac purchase EVER! You will love it! :D

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I remember being a little scared when I bought the 2008 Mac Pro in February. I read about so many problems and trouble on these forums! But I'm happy to say that I never regretted it. My machine has been, and still is, running flawlessly! Never had a problem with it. Not even a single kernel panic! (I would knock on wood now, if I believed that'd work)

I hope it will remain running great, because I do not ever want to haul that heavy thing to a store, with my bad back.

--Erwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.