Mac Pro 2008 Sleep (well... no sleep) after 10.5.7

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tom Sawyer, May 15, 2009.

1. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Has anyone noticed their MP no longer going to sleep on it's own after 10.5.7? My machine no longer goes to sleep on it's own. Setting is still the same, sleep after 1hr etc... but it never does. I can put it to sleep manually fine, light breathes, and can wake it back up with no issue... but it won't sleep on it's own. Help! My MP is so sleep deprived.... :D

2. McShizzel macrumors regular

I had this problem on my Mac Pro (2009) before the update to 10.5.7, I was hoping the new update would fix the problem but nope.

Apparently some people say doing an archive and install of the Leopard system fixed the problem but I never tried it (waiting for Snow Leopard to do a clean install).

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Mine works. 10.5.7 2006 2.66 octad.

4. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the comments.... good idea on waiting till SL for the clean install.

5. thisisvb macrumors newbie

thisisvb

I have the exact same problem Tom. are you running any programs in the background? I'm running Gmail notifier, Tweetie and Safari.

I never had a problem earlier.. I mean these applications were running and my macbook pro would go 2 sleep according to the energy saver settings. what can I do to get back to normal?

btw, once I manually put it to sleep everything works fine.

Thanks for your help!

6. frenetic macrumors regular

Have you tried quitting Safari. Some websites block my macbook from sleeping, so test this with safari closed.

7. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

if you leave Safari with YouTube, the computer won't sleep.

8. thisisvb macrumors newbie

thisisvb

@frenetic, I only have this forum and another blog open in safari. not you tube, etc. Either way, I've seen my mbp go 2 sleep even while safari and a few other apps are still running

9. frenetic macrumors regular

Try it with Safari quit - it's really only a handful of websites, amongst which Youtube.

10. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

The only thing I run in the BG is smcFanControl and have since I got my Mac Pro, was never an issue. Beyond that, my machine is usually clean app running wise when I'm done using it.

Yep... mine goes to sleep manually with no problem.

11. McShizzel macrumors regular

I just figured out what was causing my Mac Pro to stay awake.

It was *Drum Roll*

Paragon NTFS (I have version 7.0.2 but this seems to happen with earlier versions too) apparently if you have it installed it causes the mac to stay awake although a manual sleep is still possible. If you have it installed you have to uninstall it for the Mac to sleep by itself simply disabling the driver doesn't work.

According to a MacUpdate member, BARQSX, this problem doesn't only affect Paragon NTFS but MacFUSE as well ( http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/26288/ntfs-for-mac-os-x ). Although you need NTFS-3G in conjunction with MacFUSE to write onto NTFS drives for free.

I have MacFUSE installed on my system for use with VMware Fusion and it will still auto sleep as long as Paragon NTFS is off the system.

And a small side note it seems like having "MenuCalendarClock iCal" app causes the system to stay awake as well as Firefox, so quit them for auto-sleep.

Too bad, I like and need Paragon NTFS so I'll just have to live without auto-sleep. Hope this helps anyone experiencing the non-sleep issue.

Just one more thing I set my system to check if it would auto-sleep after 1 minute after quitting all apps and uninstalling Paragon NTFS, the screen shut off after one minute but the sytem didn't auto-sleep till about 4 to 5 minutes later even though the screen and computer were set to sleep after a minute.