Mac Pro 2008 SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alexandroszou, May 27, 2018.

1. alexandroszou macrumors newbie

Hello there.
    I own a Mac Pro 2008 2x quad-core at 2.8 running sierra (patched).
    I'm planing adding an ssd drive.
    Anybody has any suggestions?

2. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Almost any propular SATA SSD can do the job well.

3. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

Two top-tier suggestions for the drive would be:

* Samsung 860 Evo.
    * Crucial MX-500

However, the 2008 Mac Pro will not be able to use these drives at anywhere near their full speed when using the normal sleds. This is a strict hardware limitation. Therefore, even the most modest drives will be more than adequate, speed wise (data safety may be a different issue). A faster alternative would be to RAID-0 two drives, but this is still a waste as you won't get the full speed of two RAIDed drives either. I personally can not recommend SSD RAIDs (RAID 0) in this application due to some severe problems I eventually had in my old 2008.

You will need an appropriate 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. There are a lot of other options for this. In the alternative, I hear some people just slip the drive into the slot and securely tape it in.

Regardless of the inability to use full SSD speeds, you will find it to be a good upgrade.

4. alexandroszou thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think that choosing a Western Digital Black 1TB running at 7200/rpm will be a better choice?

5. AidenShaw, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

If you need 1 TB and your budget can't handle a 1TB SSD - it could be.

The SSD will be much faster all around, but costs more per GB.

Perhaps both - a 1TB WD Green goes for around $50 dollars, and you could get a smaller SSD for the system and apps. A 250 GB 860 EVO is around $80.

A lot of it depends on what you're doing. Do you need fast read/write to big data, or is a fast system/app drive and slower big disk reasonable?

Don't depend too much on the BlackMagic/AJA disk tests frequently mentioned here. Those measure large sequential transfers - useful if you need to read/write huge video files in real time, but not so useful for loads that hit lots of smaller files.

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

No. The SSDs are lightyears faster.

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Actually, they're milliseconds faster. A "light year" is a measure of distance (about 9.5 trillion kilometres). ;)

8. crjackson2134, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  9. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

The 3,1 I have set up for my wife is running a custom Fusion drive configuration which gives you pretty much the SSD performance in real life with the economy of a larger drive. It has been stable with a 2TB spinning drive and a 250GB SSD.
    I do not think the slower SATA speeds of the 3,1 have that much of an impact in real use. The overall performance improvement of an SSD is stunning.

10. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I have had an Apricorn Velocity Solo x1 Sata III adapter and a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo in my 2008 Mac Pro since 2014, and it’s been fantastic.

11. Jonathan50 macrumors member

Personally I prefer 3.5 inch mechanical hard drives. The 3,1 is a computer that starts, reboots or shuts down slower than others anyway. After the novelty of a slightly faster boot with an ssd has faded you are left with having a makeshift physical support for an ssd in bay #1, above the fan cage, unless you want to wait a few weeks for a thingie to adapt it to a drawer. With modern 7200 rpm and large buffer WD & Seagate hard disks, you get ample space, reliability and once the operating system has started, not much of a difference in system response. Just my thoughts. The choice is yours, of course.