Mac Pro 2008 upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SlickShoes, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a friend who has acquired this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp11

a 2008 mac pro. He has upgraded it to 4gb of RAM and will be putting 8gb in it soon.

I was wondering what his options are for upgrading the graphics card? Are there only certain types that will go in it or can any PCI-e card go in this machine?

Thanks.

2. goMac macrumors 603

I would go with an Apple 5870 for a GPU. Once that's done, he'll be in pretty good shape.

3. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

First must be a Mac or flashed PC card and the 5870/4870 are both good choices.

8GB suitable but bare minimum suggest.

Best upgrade would be a Mercury Extreme 6GB/s SSD from OWC.

4. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

There's no reason for a 6 GB/sec SSD as the 2008 Mac Pro supports only SATA II. Suggest you consider something less expensive. There are lots of choices.

6. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Intel 320 SSD is a good choice. It hasn't got the quickest read/write speeds but it's very stable and quite frankly, you won't notice the speed-difference except when benchmarking.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Maybe they want something they can use for a number of years through a number of Mac's and as they move up they will get even faster speeds? All for a couple dollars more. Seriously, some people are cheap skates. The 6G has better 4K and 256K writing and reading anyway. It is faster on 3Gb than the 3Gb one. The 6G has a 5-year warranty instead of the 3-year on the SATAII version.

8. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Of course. Just thought that more info is better than less info. And your post added more.

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

+1 thats why I'm going to purchase SATA III SSDs for my 2008 MP. 1. to future proof it and 2. transfer it to newer machines where SATA III advantages can be utilised :D

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Well, by then there will be SATA 5 or something and you'll think your 6gbs drive is a piece of crap. I agree with the poster above that putting a SATA 3 drive in is a complete waste of money. I guess if you have money to burn, then go ahead.

11. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Looking to upgrade next year, so doubt SATA 5 will be out by then :cool:

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Intel is just getting around to X79 SATAIII support so I doubt a faster link will be available anytime soon. Even if SATAIV does come out, you'll get a fatter pipe that will give the (backwards compatible to SATAIII) SSD more speed than you have now with SATAII. It is only now because of the great speed enhancements SSD's have been enjoying that we even would get to saturate the newest connect WHILE it is being deployed en masse. SATAI is just getting saturated by the newest HDD's. That's been out for at least 5+ years. Also the 4K, 256K and pumped up iops don't need to have SATAIII to be a step up.