Mac Pro 2008 won't boot properly (SOLVED :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mogallin, May 29, 2009.

1. mogallin macrumors member

SOLUTION:
    I turned it in at a mac service provider. They changed the graphics card (covered by my guarantee :D) and now it's working properly.

This first post has been rewritten to include all progress updates originally written in other posts in this thread as well as future updates. I have also removed all if these from the other posts only leaving text relevant to nearby posts by other people.

THE PROBLEM:
    [1]: The image on the computer screen freezes and I have to turn it off on the power button. (Occurred once last week and frequently since I started experiencing problem 2)
    [2]: When pressing the power button to start the computer it starts buzzing, plays the booting sound but the screen remains black. Then it will either keep buzzing very loud as when just being started or it will calm down as it normally would. (Started about 2 days ago)

The above mentioned problems seem to occur on an irregular basis and the computer will sometimes boot properly only for error 1 to occur.

HARDWARE SPECS:
    Model: Early 2008 Mac Pro
    CPU 2.8GHz 2x4 cores
    RAM: 2x1 GB installed as default, 2x2 GB installed by me right after setting up the computer

Graphics card: nVidia 8800GT (factory installed)
    HDD: Bay 1 & 2 500 GB drives (factory installed), Bay 3: Hitachi 1TB (Installed by myself almost 2 weeks ago)
    OSs: OS X 10.5.7 (Instlled on new HDD. Fully updated except for a keyboard driver.), Windows 7 64bit RC, Windows XP 32bit SP3.

THINGS I'VE DONE TO SOLVE/IDENTIFY PROBLEM(short):
    # Tried another display. No change.
    # Tried both DVI ports. No change.
    # Reset the SMC. No change.
    # Reset the PRAM. No change.
    # Tried booting without new HDD. No change.
    # Reinstalled the battery. No change.
    # Hardware test: "No trouble found".

THINGS I'VE DONE TO SOLVE/IDENTIFY PROBLEM(detailed):
    # I tried both my new and old display (Samsung 305T+ & Samsung 930BF) . Neither of the displays made any difference, nor both at the same time.
    # Tried both DVI ports. I did however only try them with the 305T+
    # I have reset the SMC (disconnecting all cables etc.)
    # I have reset the PRAM. At first it wouldn't work with my logitech keyboard, but it did when I tried my Apple aluminum one.
    # I have booted without my new Hitachi HDD. It didn't make any difference, however when booting with it installed again it made this noice common when copying files.
    # Placed a straw between the battery and its plus terminal simulating the removal of battery for 20 sec. The computer would boot at first try, with the clock reset. It didn't however reboot.
    # I ran the extensive hardware test from my Install Disk 1. It said "No troubles found". I did take photographs of all info the test gave me in case it would prove useful. At my first try to run the hardware test the screen remained black but I could hear the computer boot from the DVD. Second try it booted properly with display working. Trying to restart it after the test it booted into problem 2.

OTHER INFO (that might be useful in helping me solve my problem):
    # The computer was bought in the beginning of august 2008.
    # The computer will sometimes boot normally. Then after some time it crashes. The times I've tried playing games in WinXp on successful boots it has crahed withing 20 min. My last two boots into OS X has been ok for almost an hour before crashing.
    Since the problem started i have only had one truly good session during which i was able to play WCIII in WinXp for a few hours before turning the computer off without any crashes.

FUNNY FACT:
    During the first of the above mentioned ok boots into OS X I was just about to complete a sentence in this post saying something like "During this boot it has been running without crashing for almost an hour" when the computer froze...

2. mogallin thread starter macrumors member

Bumping this thread because this problem is driving me mad!

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Games

Mac's are a great computer for almost anything but they are not built for games... :(

4. mogallin thread starter macrumors member

Indeed they are :)
    Or at least, in my case, were. Now it's not good for anything since it wont boot :(

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

can you hold "D" key during startup with the OS X Install DVD 1 (or disc 2 i think if you run 10.5).

That should bring up Apple Hardware test, but I'll warn you that the info it gives you isn't super useful. The error codes may not tell you too much, but it could give you an idea.

Apple Hardware Test

6. mogallin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll try that.

EDIT: I have rewritten my first post and will keep rewriting it, and adding to it to keep things organized.
    I have also deleted quite a few (IMO unnecessary) things from my other posts.