Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4sean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Hello

just wanted to let people know upgrading mac pro 2009 4.1 2.66ghz 4 core
to a w3680 for 490$ from my computer store 3.33ghz 6 core Is ****ING AWSOME

super fast to install the cpu and the MacEfirom utility for putting your mac pro
4.1 to 5.1 awsome again!

i had a benchmark score of 8190 with 2.66ghz with 12gbs or ram to a benchmark score 15900 with 12gbs or ram

for people that wanna upgrade there mac pro 2009 to a 6 core 3.33ghz
DO IT!!!!

im so happey i did mine!

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Yeah, that's a good deal on the chip. I just ordered mine for $587 from Provantage.

15900 I'm guessing?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I want to upgrade my 2.66 to a 3.33… except I'm not sure I want to spend $2500 :(

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Can you find processors without the heat spreader? Anandtech destroyed the first one they installed. I'd love to spend $500 to extend the life of my machine but not if there's a good chance I may fry something.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Having read through all the threads on this topic, what do you guys think of this: http://toolscamera.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7883

Fake? Seems awful fishy considering the average price is around $600. Welcome all opinions/input. Cheers.
I'm sketched out by that site and price, personally. I believe in the phrase, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."
Can you find processors without the heat spreader? Anandtech destroyed the first one they installed. I'd love to spend $500 to extend the life of my machine but not if there's a good chance I may fry something.
I sold my old CPU with the boxed heat sink that came with the W3680 as a "bonus" if you will. The CPU is in a separate little plastic case, so I never had to touch the rest.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I'm sketched out by that site and price, personally. I believe in the phrase, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

I sold my old CPU with the boxed heat sink that came with the W3680 as a "bonus" if you will. The CPU is in a separate little plastic case, so I never had to touch the rest.

You had to do the 2010 MP EFI update for this chip to work as well right?

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA

I think the only concern here is with the 2009 dual-processor Macs. They use the lidless Intel CPUs whereas the single-processor 2009s use a standard (with lid) CPU. If I remember correctly, Anandtech destroyed the daughter board on an '09 because it was a dual-proc Mac.

Or am I mistaken there?

jas

Afuera

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Firmware update was easy but...

I now have my Macpro 2.66 Quad 4,1 flashing itself as a 5,1

The firmware thing was easy but I am scared of the hardware part...

I know the process but:

I read about people using washers for fitting the heatsink, problems with lidded chips, how to apply the thermal paste (just a dot, spreading it all over the processor lid, just a line?...)

Any advice? I only have experience changing Hardrives, ram, graphic cards and pci cards... but never a Processor... do you think is to much for somebody with my experience?

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
I now have my Macpro 2.66 Quad 4,1 flashing itself as a 5,1
I read about people using washers for fitting the heatsink, problems with lidded chips, how to apply the thermal paste (just a dot, spreading it all over the processor lid, just a line?...)

Any advice? I only have experience changing Hardrives, ram, graphic cards and pci cards... but never a Processor... do you think is to much for somebody with my experience?

You have a quad-core single processor from the look of it. If that is the case, then you don't have to worry about washers or lidless chips. The single-cpu 4,1 used a standard lidded CPU. Replacing the processor is simple. Remove the old one. Add the new one.

Regarding thermal paste application..........I used the line method. Here is a link to a blog post detailing the process with some nice pictures to help. It's one page and a quick read.

http://junipermonkeys.com/swapping-a-333-6-core-into-a-2009-266-4-core

Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.