Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Update problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Monkeynuts*, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Monkeynuts*, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

Monkeynuts* macrumors newbie

*Admin - Please move this posting if need be. Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello everyone,
    I am a bit stumped and need some help, as I'm tying to update the firmware on my 2009 Mac Pro so that it thinks it's a 2010 model. Effectively turning the Mac Pro 4 into a Mac Pro 5 (In essence). I have downloaded the MacProEFIUpdate.dmg and the Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool to complete this operation. However, when my computer goes to reboot I get the white screen showing that the update is taking place, but when I check the System Profiler, it still lists the computer as a Mac Pro 4. After doing more research on the internet, someone suggested that the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin also needs to be updated (To version 4.5 - I think). Currently mine is Ver 1.0.0. I have looked around a bit, but I haven't been able to find a solution/tool/update etc. to enable me to update the PlatformPlugin, please help.

Thanks ThinkTank,

MonkeyNuts*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 2.41.39 AM.png
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    *By the way, my graphics card is supported and Apple are no longer supporting the ACPI_SMC_PlatormPlugin version 4.5.0 - I checked and it doesn't appear to be there. I have also read someone tying to use the Update tool using 10.6 Snow Leopard, can anyone confirm or deny this please. Thanks again.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Read relevant thread on netkas forum. All answers are there.
    Digging in kexts will lead you nowhere.

3. bmxfr macrumors member

to make a 4.1 to 5.1 you have to change 4cores to 6 cores or 8cores to 12cores , compatibles intel xeons

4. Messy macrumors 6502