Mac Pro 2009 4870 card noisy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by funkahdafi, Mar 28, 2009.

1. funkahdafi macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

just received my 09 model a couple of days ago, and while I am generally happy with it so far, the ATI 4870 card seems to have an issue. It's fan is not running smoothly, but is ratteling here and there.

Can someone confirm this? If you guys don't have that, I will have it replaced.

Thanks

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I don't have mine yet, but it shouldn't be rattling I would have thought. Maybe the bearings on the cooler fan are bad.

Can you post an audio recording?

3. KP Nuts macrumors newbie

I can't really enlighten you regarding the exact same situation my end, however... I do own a Sony Vaio 17" Laptop with a Ati card and it's like having a hair dryer on full temperature pounding out the side. SO very very unimpressive.

4. amoergosum macrumors 6502

5. omgitscolin macrumors newbie

Mine's not making any noise. I haven't done any gaming or anything to stress it out yet though. Is yours noisy all the time, or just during heavy use?

6. funkahdafi thread starter macrumors 6502

It's noisy all the time. I think the fan has an issue. Gonna have it replaced soon.

7. $BPM$ macrumors newbie

My 4870 fan is noisy too, sounds like a very quiet little diesel engine chugging away in there. It's been discussed in another thread and seems to be common with the 4870?

8. flashram macrumors newbie

My 09 Mac Pro w/ 4870 is silent. Guess I got lucky.