Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EirikStrand1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2017
hi, i have a mac pro from 2009 witch i got from an earlier school i did go to and am tying to fix it, so the first problem is: when i hit the start button nothing happens, i get now no power to mouse or keyboard, and black screen.
i tested the orignal gpu on my windows and it worked. i don't have the orignal hard drive and only an ssd in it with no OS. also trying to get a earlyer OS that will run on 4.1.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Hi, I have a Mac Pro from 2009 (which I got from a school I used to attend) and am tying to fix it. The first problem is, when I hit the start button, nothing happens. I get no power to the mouse or keyboard, and a black screen.

I tested the original GPU on my Windows machine and it worked. I don't have the original hard drive, only an ssd with no OS. Also, I am trying to get an earlier OS that will run on the 4.1.

Thoughts on where to go from here?

OK, now that that is sorted out... which GPU is in it? Is it the silver/grey small one (Nvidia GT120), or the larger red one (Radeon 4870)? If it's an official Apple GPU that came with that machine, you should at least get a boot screen. Are you using any adapters to go from your card to the monitor? Is the card fully seated? Perhaps try putting it in the second slot (second up from the bottom) and see if you get anything.

Second, if there is no OS on your SSD you will need to put one there. El Capitan is the latest version supported on a non-flashed 4,1. You will need either a bootable USB thumbdrive with it installed, or a DVD with it burned onto. Then you must get an official Apple keyboard, and hold down the "Option" key when pressing the power button. Keep holding until you either see a spinning wheel or progress bar. This will allow you to boot from said drive or disc, and then you will be able to wipe the SSD and install the OS.

Let us know if there's anything else I can help you with.

EirikStrand1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2017
hi, its the Radeon 4870 yes, tried both mini dp and the dvi port. am thinking it could be the PRAM what need to change. i think its the mother board who has the problam

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
SOME machines have the volume muted or turned all the way down for startup chime, happened during one of the updates in 2018. That itself is not an indication of an issue.

Reactions: Alex Sanders74

EirikStrand1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2017
If you're getting no startup chime, there's a bigger issue here. It doesn't power on at all when you press the power button?

almost forgot, yes it has power, fan goes to 100% on both 120mm and gpu, but no power to keyboard or mouse
[doublepost=1554133572][/doublepost]
SOME machines have the volume muted or turned all the way down for startup chime, happened during one of the updates in 2018. That itself is not an indication of an issue.

am not even sure if will make the chime sound without a OS installed so i can agee that there is not the problem, i think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.