Mac Pro 2009 - how to install SAS cable inside optical bay ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spacedust, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

I'm moving parts from my Mac Pro 2008 to Mac Pro 2009, but I'm stucked inside optical bay where I normally have 6xSSD backplane and I need to get there a SAS to 4xSATA cable.

I've already ordered SATA to molex adapter, but still cannot find any hole where I can put my additional cable.

In Mac Pro 2008 there was a nice large hole between optical bay and a main area where all cable where going there. Now everything seems to be going under aluminum cover down to the logic board.

2. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured it out by removing power supply cables cover. However even if I put all my cables via hole there is still a bigger problem:

Where should the miniSAS -> 4x SATA cable go inside the main area. Now there is a PCI-Express cards fan blocking the whole path. This is possible to install but I won't be able to add use thirst two drives in main harddrive bays.

3. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found some space under the fan after removing it but it makes the installation procedure a little bit scary.

Anyone here using optical drive bay backplane and internal RAID card Areca etc. ?