Mac Pro 2009 - Internal & External RAID SATA

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dubaimac, Jun 26, 2009.

1. dubaimac macrumors regular

I might be asking for the moon on a stick here, but I have been searching and searching for a sata RAID card for a Seritek 5PM. Simple enough you might say, problem is I will have 3 GT120's in the mac pro, so I only have one PCI slot left, I have also ordered the Optical drive bay mounting ass. Mp2009opt06 from max upgrades to mount two more 3.5 inch drives. This kit comes with a pci sata card, for the optical drive to be connected to. So I'm out of pci slots, ideally I have a PM aware RAID 0,5 2 port external with 1 port internal for the optical drive, I wont need anymore internal as I will have two intel SSD's in raid 0 and a further 4 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB in raid 0 via SOFTWARE RAID. (I have read lots of posts about hardware raid on internal drives and potential breakages as software update does its work), all my backup is to an existing HP mediasmart EX485 with 10TB storage.

I was thinking I could use the 4 port seritek or the 2 port highpoint "esata for mac" but how would I get the esata to sata cable back through the case to the optical drive?

Thanks for your help, I am a newbie but I have been floating for several years, its only now that I can afford to upgrade to my dream mac system so I want to get it right first time!!

http://www.syba.com/index.php?controller=Product&action=Info&Id=6

2. nanofrog macrumors G4