Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Hi all,

I got my 09 Mac Pro (2.26GHz + ATI 4870) a few days ago and I've noticed a couple of issues.
- The PSU started to emit a buzzing sound. Should I be worried?
- Installing the Logitech MX Revolution drivers (LCC) caused the Mac Pro to freeze for 0.5s every like 1-2 minutes while dragging windows. Uninstalling the drivers fixes the issue to some extent
- I can definitely see occasional stalls / freezes (everything stops). I can't reproduce it but the issue is there. For example, I can just click on a window and if the freeze happens at that point it's like nothing happened so I have to click again (happens totally randomly)
- Xbench just crashes roughly every 1 out of 3 runs (I run it like 10 times without the Disk Test so it finishes quicker)

Have any of you run Xbench on the new Mac Pros and found it that it crashes almost 30-40% of the time?

I'm quite worried that my Pro has some sort of hardware problem (it's also quite noisy). Should I call Apple Care and maybe ask for a replacement?

Thanks,
M

Cancelled
Feb 17, 2008
Hi all,

I got my 09 Mac Pro (2.26GHz + ATI 4870) a few days ago and I've noticed a couple of issues.
- The PSU started to emit a buzzing sound. Should I be worried?
- Installing the Logitech MX Revolution drivers (LCC) caused the Mac Pro to freeze for 0.5s every like 1-2 minutes while dragging windows. Uninstalling the drivers fixes the issue to some extent
- I can definitely see occasional stalls / freezes (everything stops). I can't reproduce it but the issue is there. For example, I can just click on a window and if the freeze happens at that point it's like nothing happened so I have to click again (happens totally randomly)
- Xbench just crashes roughly every 1 out of 3 runs (I run it like 10 times without the Disk Test so it finishes quicker)

Have any of you run Xbench on the new Mac Pros and found it that it crashes almost 30-40% of the time?

I'm quite worried that my Pro has some sort of hardware problem (it's also quite noisy). Should I call Apple Care and maybe ask for a replacement?

Thanks,
M

I most definitely would. With what your paying for that machine I would expect and exchange right away.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Do others who ordered a new Mac Pro with the ATI 4870 feel the same way?

I certainly noticed these freezes occurring when I first got it, but that seems to have stopped now. God knows what was causing it, but overall I'm pretty happy with my machine now (except for some errors I made when moving my user directory over which I am now having to sort out)

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I'd be beating on Apple's door the moment I heard the PSU buzz. The other issues just confirm it. And i wouldn't take a warrantee "repair" either! I'd want a whole new machine to replace the lemon I got 1st time around.

milend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
I certainly noticed these freezes occurring when I first got it, but that seems to have stopped now. God knows what was causing it, but overall I'm pretty happy with my machine now (except for some errors I made when moving my user directory over which I am now having to sort out)

Can I please ask you to run Xbench and see if it crashes for you (no need to do the Disk Test, takes a lot of time)? Thanks a lot.

I'm not really sure what to say to AppleCare when I call them up - I just want a replacement unit but they will probably make me go through the procedures and stuff. Also, because the issues occur randomly, I'm not sure what to do if they ask me to reproduce them.

Has anyone else gotten replacements for their Mac Pros before? The reason I'm asking is because I live quite far away from the nearest Apple Store and I wouldn't want to carry this 20kg computer there on the train (the Pro is custom configured (just change of the gfx card)). Any advice?

Thank you all for your time,
M

tsmiller

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2009

I also had a few freezes when I first set up my Mac Pro 2.26ghz Octo. All seems good now. It was strange, the mouse and keyboard just would not respond. I pressed the power button to sleep, then woke the computer and it started working again.

flashram

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
I am seeing some sort of video interference in my display, mostly near the bottom of the image. I connected my Macbook Pro to my LCD using the same cable and it's not there. I have the ATI 4870. I've tried both ports on the video card and I still see it.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Man freezing issues already with the new nehalems. I noticed only the 2.26ghz models have the freezing and buzzing issues. None that I heard from the 2.66ghz and the 2.93ghz models.

Besides the buzzing issues, I wouldn't worry much about the mouse freezing issue, it seems most likely due to drivers issues (only if say you have a logitech mouse with the osx driver installed). But if you have any regular mouse that's acting up and freezing, I would just call up and ask for an exchange for a new machine.

milend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Man freezing issues already with the new nehalems. I noticed only the 2.26ghz models have the freezing and buzzing issues. None that I heard from the 2.66ghz and the 2.93ghz models.

Besides the buzzing issues, I wouldn't worry much about the mouse freezing issue, it seems most likely due to drivers issues (only if say you have a logitech mouse with the osx driver installed). But if you have any regular mouse that's acting up and freezing, I would just call up and ask for an exchange for a new machine.

The mouse issue is also present in Windows with the Windows Logitech drivers which leads me to believe it's the hardware.

-js-

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Southern California
Logitech Control Center is a known issue. Do not install it. In your case, I'd say to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS, then reimport your stuff, and pay the $20 for Steermouse or get USB overdrive. But do NOT install LCC.

Then if you still have freezing issues, and the PSU is buzzing, call Apple. Heck, call Apple anyway, but LCC is a bad idea on a Mac.

milend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Logitech Control Center is a known issue. Do not install it. In your case, I'd say to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS, then reimport your stuff, and pay the $20 for Steermouse or get USB overdrive. But do NOT install LCC.

Then if you still have freezing issues, and the PSU is buzzing, call Apple. Heck, call Apple anyway, but LCC is a bad idea on a Mac.

I know about LCC. The issues are present with SteerMouse as well (buzzing and random stall / freeze).

Abidubi

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Montreal

Where did you get this info? I'm running LCC on my G5 without any problems for the last 2 years? I've ordered a new pro so I'd appreciate a little more clarification since I'd very much like to keep using this excellent mouse.

summitscout

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
I am not surprised there are problems with LCC on the new hardware. I've been running it on my G5 for years, but I have had spotty issues with their updates.

Logitech, like Linksys, has good hardware, but crappy software. Don't hold your breath on Logitech fixing these (right) anytime soon.

That's a shame because I enjoy my Logitech cordless keyboard with its programmable left-hand scroll wheel and buttons. I guess I won't be adding LCC to my new 2009 MP (at least not until I get a good mirror of the drive.)

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Ive never had any issues with the logitech LLC drivers for osx tiger or leopard on the 2.8ghz 8 core mac pro, 15" unibody mbp, current mac mini, it's never once crashed, froze, no problems whatsoever.

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
I've had a major problem with the current version of Logitech's control panel software. I'm using the MX1100 mouse with a Mac Pro running the latest OS X. My scroll wheel speed settings constantly change when I'm using the mouse---first the mouse will scroll down a page at the appropriate speed, and then it will suddenly forget that setting and start scrolling very slow. This happens in all apps at one time or another. Eventually, the scroll speed returns to its normal settings.

Apparently, it's yet another bug in the LCC software. Too bad I have to use Steermouse, which doesn't recognize 2 of the 1100's custom buttons.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Where did you get this info? I'm running LCC on my G5 without any problems for the last 2 years? I've ordered a new pro so I'd appreciate a little more clarification since I'd very much like to keep using this excellent mouse.

Um..... apple even came out and said that Logitech drivers were causing blue screens at start up, when OSX leopard was first. I think it might be related.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
my lcc is working just fine... no issues here.
only one small issue, happened twice, not sure if it is the gfx card (gt 120) or just an anomaly... while rendering in parallels 4 (which is fast on this thing compared to my mbp) I pushed the display to shaw static, like on a tv when you're not on a channel with signal. This occured today as well when waking from sleep. maybe the video driver is still buggy?
both times, just a few seconds then back to normal:confused:
I think I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it persists call apple...
it has happened twice now since this post... static no signal like screen... both times while waking from sleep... looks like I might have to call apple... any one else experiencing this?

Abidubi

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Montreal
I guess I'll give LCC a try once my mac pro arrives. I'll probably go a week with the apple mouse to make sure there aren't any pre-existing issues. Then if crap starts happening I'll have a good idea what it is.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I have a 2.26 8-core loaner. It's not given any problems or made any strange noises.

I did have a problem with Photoshop CS4 which crashes when I run the Lighting Effects filter. I don't know if that's a hardware issue, but I've reported it to Adobe and Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.