Mac Pro 2009 Menu Bar ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, May 15, 2017.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I run a mid 2009 Mac Pro Mavericks OS and have started to a niggling problem with the menu bar on cold startup.

I have always had my menu bar setting on Translucent but since replacing the graphics card to a
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 sometimes on a cold startup the menu bar opens as translucent then turns totaly transparent then if I do a re boot or restart it then it holds as translucent.

Any ideas what would cause this ?

2. JedNZ macrumors regular

JedNZ

I had problems with my GT120 (1080 screen) in my cMP similar to this. It eventually got worse and now believe it's a hardware issue. Pretty much all menus are an array of horizontal colourful garbage, or they're completely blank, and the top menu bar is a mixed experience. But it doesn't give me problems for the boot screen - which is the primary purpose of this GPU given I have a later model GPU for my heavy duty graphics work (running 4K screen).

If you haven't already:
    • Remove and reseat the GPU in the PCIe slot, and the same for the power cable(s). Inspect the PCI pins on the GPU to see if there's any damage.
    • Unplug and inspect the video cable for damage.
    • Reset PMU/NVRAM, and PRAM.
    • Consider moving the GPU to another PCI slot.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Only other thing that is different to my old setup is I have a DisplayPort to Mini Displayport Video Adapter M/F
    Its been OK for a few days but if things get worse I will follow your checklist above.

Thank you.

4. JedNZ macrumors regular

JedNZ

Actually that was first issue - a dodgy DVI to VGA adapter. Thought I fixed it by replaced it, but alas not so.