Mac Pro (2009) - NO SOUND with Radeon HD 5870 installed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hadouken!, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hadouken! macrumors newbie

Hi folks - really need some help here. I'm currently running a;

Mac Pro 4,1 (early 2009)
    2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    8 Gb RAM
    Boot ROM MP41.0081.B07
    Mac OS X 10.7.2

I've just swapped out my stock GT 120 card for a new Radeon HD 5870, I have it connected to my Sony SDM-X93 monitor via DVI. On booting up, I now have NO SOUND on my Mac at all and the sound control panel states 'no output devices found'. I've also tried booting up in both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 x64 (bootcamp) but with the same results - no sound at all. All the sound controls appear 'muted'.

I have read a note on Apple's site regarding a no sound issue on the MP 2009 when used with the mini display connectors but I am and will only be using the DVI port.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? is the card faulty? I'm unsure as to why installing a graphics card creates issues with audio

If I can't get it working it will just have to go back and I'll have to live with the GT 120

cheers all!

2. Hadouken! thread starter macrumors newbie

Issue fixed

FIXED: Do a PRAM reset (reboot and press "apple+p+r" so that you hear the boot chime two times than release the keys)

Thanks to Caesar 091 for the tip!

3. johniet macrumors newbie

No sound MacBook Pro

Im a bit disappointed right now, i used to use my wireless Bose speakers normally and when i wanted i used the internal speakers, but now sound only works with the WIRELESS speakers, and the internal ones don't show up in the list of sound preferences, i have restarted the PRAM several times with alt+cmd+P+R, there is no red light because its WIRELESS, i hate to register in forums but i am really desperate and i feel stolen...$1200 for this???

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

This is the Mac Pro forum (desktop). For your laptop you might get better help in the MacBook Pro forum.