Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hi folks - really need some help here. I'm currently running a;

Mac Pro 4,1 (early 2009)
2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 Gb RAM
Boot ROM MP41.0081.B07
Mac OS X 10.7.2

I've just swapped out my stock GT 120 card for a new Radeon HD 5870, I have it connected to my Sony SDM-X93 monitor via DVI. On booting up, I now have NO SOUND on my Mac at all and the sound control panel states 'no output devices found'. I've also tried booting up in both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 x64 (bootcamp) but with the same results - no sound at all. All the sound controls appear 'muted'.

I have read a note on Apple's site regarding a no sound issue on the MP 2009 when used with the mini display connectors but I am and will only be using the DVI port.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? is the card faulty? I'm unsure as to why installing a graphics card creates issues with audio

If I can't get it working it will just have to go back and I'll have to live with the GT 120

cheers all!

Hadouken!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Issue fixed

FIXED: Do a PRAM reset (reboot and press "apple+p+r" so that you hear the boot chime two times than release the keys)

Thanks to Caesar 091 for the tip!

johniet

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
No sound MacBook Pro

Im a bit disappointed right now, i used to use my wireless Bose speakers normally and when i wanted i used the internal speakers, but now sound only works with the WIRELESS speakers, and the internal ones don't show up in the list of sound preferences, i have restarted the PRAM several times with alt+cmd+P+R, there is no red light because its WIRELESS, i hate to register in forums but i am really desperate and i feel stolen...$1200 for this???

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Im a bit disappointed right now, i used to use my wireless Bose speakers normally and when i wanted i used the internal speakers, but now sound only works with the WIRELESS speakers, and the internal ones don't show up in the list of sound preferences, i have restarted the PRAM several times with alt+cmd+P+R, there is no red light because its WIRELESS, i hate to register in forums but i am really desperate and i feel stolen...$1200 for this???
This is the Mac Pro forum (desktop). For your laptop you might get better help in the MacBook Pro forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.